MODERN SALON TV's most recent episode features instructions on how to create newspaper nails. One of MODERN's editors, Alison Shipley, breaks it down into 10 easy steps:
1. To get this trendy newspaper effect, begin with a base coat.
2. Apply two coats of nail polish--a lighter color works best to get the full effect.
3. Once your nails are dry, prepare a small amount of alcohol in a little bowl.
4. Then, find type on a newspaper or magazine you like. We chose an old issue of MODERN SALON.
5. Cut 10 small strips out of the paper that are big enough to cover your nails.
6. Soak all of the strips in the alcohol until saturated.
7. One by one, apply the strip to your nail, holding the paper as if you were applying a fake tattoo.
8. Remember, if you press it on too long, the polish will stick to the paper.
9. Roll your finger as you pull the newspaper off your nail. The text sticks to the polish.
10. Apply a top coat and you're done!
Try out the newspaper effect on yourself and your clients; then post your results on facebook.com/modernsalon.