Here are Penna’s steps for his favorite retro chic hairstyles:
FINGER CURLS (worn by Natasha Bedingfield)
Glamorous and sexy, finger curls are making an appearance in both updos and romantic, loose looks this spring.
1. Begin look with a classic blow dry and apply shine serum to locks. Nick recommends L’Oréal Professionnel Expert Shine Perfection Anti-Frizz Serum.
2. Using a 1-inch curling iron, section off hair into 2-inch sections. Starting from the top of the head, clip hair in iron, hold down iron and release. Repeat until you reach the bottom of the hair.
3. Complete the same step through the hair until desired look is achieved.
4. Finish with light hold hairspray. Nick loves Shu Uemura’s Sheer Lacquer.
VICTORY ROLLS (worn by Rihanna)
The ultimate retro chic look!
1. Begin the look by curling all of the hair with a 1- or 2-inch barrel curling iron.
2. Apply a texturing mousse or cream through hair. Nick recommends L’Oréal Texture Expert Mousse Volupte.
3. Piece off a section of hair near the front (make sure hair is parted in the middle).
4. Using hairspray and a comb, tease this section of hair to create extra volume and texture.
5. Taking one half of the section of hair in the front you’ve teased, start to roll it in toward the part (move from back to front) and pin.
6. Repeat on other side of hair.
7. Finish look with secure hold hairspray.