At last week’s CMA Awards, the biggest entertainers in country music pulled out the stops for the red carpet. We saw one mini hair trend we were loving: Both “Entertainer of the Year” winner Taylor Swift and co-host Carrie Underwood wore pinned-back curls that were sweet yet sophisticated…and each star put her own twist on the look.
Read on to find the steps to recreate both versions!
Steps by L’Oreal Professional Portfolio Artist Jennifer MacDougall
1. This hairstyle is styled with a 1 ¼-inch curling iron; to hold those curls, use L’Oreal Professionnel Mousse Voulpte and blow dry into the hair.
2. Section the hair starting at the nape. Take 1-2 inch sections and lightly spray with L’Oreal Professionnel Infinium (2 Hold) and then wrap the hair around the curling iron.
3. Pin each curl with a pin curl clip to set the hair. Continue curling each piece, spraying Infinium and pinning.
4. When the whole head is curled, release the pins.
5. Add 1-2 pumps of Mythic Oil and run your fingers through the curls to add shine, separate the curls and to keep frizz away.
6. Wrap and twist one side back and secure with bobby pins. Wrap the other side and twist back and secure at the nape.
7. Finish with Infinium (3 Hold).
Steps by Redken Artist Kellie Diana Johnson
1. Pre-set the hair for all day/night volume. Using Redken Guts 10, spray into the hair for all over volume and fullness.
2. Part hair on right or left side for a sweeping effect. Blow dry with a round brush for volume.
3. Starting in nape area, working your way up—take vertical sections with a medium barrel curling iron, using Redken Spray Starch 15 to protect your hair from heat and hold the curl for the night.
4. Pin curl each curl in place to set and cool. A vertical set when dropped out—the hair will be separated at the bottom for a more modern look and allow you to create a few different looks!
5. After set is cooled: Remove clips and gently separate curls with hands.
6. Back comb crown area for added volume and smooth out top with small finishing brush.
7. The “do”—after the hair is set and smoothed out. Leave ½” to 1” around front hairline.
8. Take a piece of hair above the ear (leaving hair covering ear) twist back to center back, push up ½” and bobby pin in place (hiding bobby pin by placing down into hair and holding in place).
9. Repeat on other side.
10. Finish with Redken Forceful 23 Finishing Spray for frizz free all day/night shine.
The vertical curls cascade, and by leaving the curls loose on the sides, you give a romantic feel to this look!