TV’s juiciest new drama has plenty of suspense, intrigue…and high-glam looks. The Hamptons setting makes it a hotbed of beauty, class and style. MODERN talked to the show’s hairstylist Carl Bailey, a veteran of television shows and movies, for his how-to’s on creating the signature looks of the show’s stars, Emily VanCamp and Madeleine Stowe.
While the results may look effortless, the time required to style both women means Bailey has call times as early as 5 a.m. But besides being beautiful, the cast is one of the most fun he’s ever worked with, he says. That makes his long days fly by. “It doesn’t feel like work!”
Emily, who plays revenge-seeker Emily Thorne on the show, “has fine hair,” says Bailey. She typically wears her hair in loose curls, though will be switching it up with straighter looks in future episodes.
1. On damp hair, apply a quarter-size dollop of White Sands The Cure 24/7 serum to repair and protect colored hair.
2. For fine hair, mist hair with a volumizing/texturizing spray.
3. Blow dry with diffuser attachment, scrunching hair with fingers until dry.
4. Wrap small sections around a large-barrel curling iron and release; to give curls extra staying power, spray with White Sands Liquid Texture for all-day hold.
Madeline portrays icy socialite Victoria Grayson, who favors loose, polished waves. “She has great, thick hair and she doesn’t like hairspray,” reports Bailey. “We usually don’t use any product on her hair.”
1. On clean, dry hair, wrap small sections around a large-barrel curling iron.
2. Pin curls in place and let cool while she gets her makeup done.
3. Release curls and let fall in place; smooth out any flyaways.
4. If necessary, use a heat protector spray on hair before using curling iron.