New York’s Mercedes Benz Fashion week just wrapped and MODERN SALON Media editors covered the week-long fashion frenzy in full force to share the latest in beauty including hair, make-up and nails.
While the Spring/Summer 2012 fashions were, in general, flowy, feminine and upbeat, the hair offered everything from the sleek, sophisticated ponytails from Guido for Redken at Reed Krakoff to high-fashion, amped up, heavily texturized wigs by Danilo at Bebe.
From the psychedelic orange nails at Milli by CND to the tasteful understated elegant neutrals by OPI on nails and toes at BCBG and Herve Leger, the nail scene was POPPING. Every model was fully fashioned from head to toe—making the nails a big focus this season.
All the professional salon industry stars were there including Guido, Eugene Souleiman, Danilo, Orlando Pita, Ted Gibson, Peter Gray, Rodney Cutler, Kevin Ryan, Frank Rizzieri, Didier Maliage, Thomas Dunkin, Antoinette Beenders, Jan Arnold, Garren, Odile, Neil Moody, Jimmy Paul, Rafe Hardy, DJ Riggs, Amit Abraham, Philip Pelusi, Bob Recine and so, so, so many others. Hair looks ranged from simple and chic ponytails to dramatic, high style updos. There was no special trend this season as there was as much texture and frizz in one show as there was shine and gloss in the next. New were a handful of shows that sported heavy gel from root to ends to make the hair look wet. Some leads offered a mix of slick hair with textured pieces or ends. As always, there were plenty of braids, faux bobs, fat French twists and sophisticated swirls.
It appeared there were many more beauty sponsors this season, allowing more of our industry to get involved. Maybe it's a sign of our new found confidence, but there was less drama and attitude backstage. The divas of the '80s were few and far between and those that were invited to participated in this New York Fashion Week were there to do a job....and a great one at that!
MODERN’s Beauty and Fashion Director Maggie Mulhern and Alison Shipley, MODERN’s Executive Editor of Social Media & Video, compiled some of their favorite Fashion Week moments. Though there were TONS of moments that made this particular Fashion Week memorable, here's some of the fun they experienced!
- The finale at Christian Siriano was fantastic, especially when the models came out en masse showing the gently coifed looks by Antoinette Beenders for Aveda.
- One of the best.moments.ever was MODERN behind the scenes watching the models line up and observing the assembly line of beauty at Carolina Herrera. Orlando Pita was in the honored position of having the last touch before the models hit the catwalk.
- The hair at Badagley Mischka by Peter Gray for Moroccanoil was top of the line. It SCREAMED elegance, talent and skill. The tightly coiled French twists were offset by effortless, touseled texture on top. (Watch the interview with Peter Gray here)
- The fashions at Sherri Hill, hosted by Kendall Jenner, were trendy, wearable, and the show itself was completely star studded. Not only was Donald Trump spotted, but so was Kathie Lee Gifford (her daughter was walking in the show), and The Kardashians came out in support of their baby sister Kendall. (watch the finale here)
- Backstage at Reed Krakoff a model was almost in tears once she found out Guido was creating a natural hair look using Redken products. “I am just so happy to finally have a natural look,” the model said. “I have had so much gel ripped through my hair, I could just cry I am so happy!”
- It was so fantastic to see the tremendous amount of respect earned by hairdresser Rodney Cutler, when MODERN met with him behind the scenes at Carlos Miele—we loved watching his team respectfully nod to him.
- Getting to meet Sarah Merrie, the winner of Sebastian Professional’s What’s Next Awards, at the Alice + Olivia show. She was so excited to be participating backstage and her dreams have “come true” working with Thomas Dunkin for Sebastian.
- Having exclusive interviews with hairdresser extraordinaire and MODERN friend DJ Riggs for TIGI backstage at Chris Benz. Not only did we get private interviews with DJ about his cool fashion and inspirations, we also grabbed an interview with Chris Benz himself, right as they were prepping for the show! It was so interesting to hear aobut how the designer works closely with the hairdresser.
- We LOVED sharing with you about how other industry notables pack for Fashion Week—what exactly does one wear?? We found out! We interviewed hairdressers everywhere! The top two answers? Comfortable shoes and, OF COURSE, black! “Black is the new black!” said one of our favorite interviews!
- We loved the Vivienne Tam show, with hair dressed by Philip Pelusi—where the models were wearing the designer’s newest yoga collection, and were actually doing yoga outside of Lincoln Center! The hair was gorgeous and we loved the interesting show.
- Heading backstage at Elene Cassis to find Amit Abraham setting the models' hair in long foils, using a curling iron and L'Oreal Professionnel products. WHAT A COOL set! (watch the video here)