HOW TO: Modern Punk, Perfect for A Wedding or Prom
So many great looks were created for the Met Gala this week in NYC. One of our favorites was created by Jim Crawford (using Rene Furterer) for Meredith Melling Burke, resulting in a beautiful blend of modern and punk…and perfect for any wedding or prom.
The sculpted, deconstructed updo is wild and chaotic, but still glamorous. “I wanted to create a romantic punk updo with different textures and finishes,” says Crawford.
Here Crawford breaks down the look:
1. Before constructing the updo, prep dry hair by applying different products to create a variety of textures and finishes to the look. Start with René Furterer VOLUMEA volumizing foam throughout the hair and spray NATURIA dry shampoo on the roots to create volume and texture.
2. To create a smooth finish, apply René Furterer FIORAVANTI no rinse detangling spray and VEGETAL GLOSSING SPRAY all over for shine.
3. Tweak the ends with a mini flat iron.
4. To start the updo, braid the hair into two side braids.
5. Deconstruct each braid by pulling out strands and loosening it with a wide tooth comb and fingers. "This way the different finishes, the soft shiny pieces and the wet-looking strands â both created by applying all different prep products â are shown next to each other."
6. To finish, pull up the rest of the hair into a messy updo and secured it with bobby pins.
7. Finish the hair by spraying René Furterer VEGETAL FINISHING SPRAY all over for a soft hold to carry the look through the night.