Enbrightenment Discoloration Treatment
1. Start with analysis and consultation, including the Enbrightenment Foot Ritual, which consists of reflexology movements, and the Aroma Sensory Journey.Photo 2 of 16
2. Cleanse and tone skin with Brightening Cleanser and Brightening Treatment Toner. Follow with one of three refinement options, including Botanical Skin Resurfacing or Perfecting Plant Peel.Photo 3 of 16
3. Apply treatment packets using the Brightening Treatment Toner. Steam vapor may also be used. Paint on toner over the rest of the face, neck and décolleté, to saturate the skin.Photo 4 of 16
4. Balance the skin with Enbrightenment Pure Essence Blend, Balancing Infusion for Dry Skin or Balancing Infusion for Sensitive Skin.Photo 5 of 16
5. Apply Brightening Intensive Massage Masque. Then perform Signature Facial and Arm Massage, which draws on Korean and Japanese massage techniques. Start by warming up the tissue with effleurage movements.Photo 6 of 16
6. Next, loosen clavicular attachments by massaging along the bottom side of the clavicle with deep circular friction movements.Photo 7 of 16
7. Then, place left hand underneath the occipital ridge and right hand on guest’s right shoulder and deeply stretch. Switch sides and repeat.Photo 8 of 16
8. Using deep circular motions, massage along the right sternocleidomastid muscle from the mastoid ridge to the clavicle. Massage the right masseter muscle from zygomatic arch to the mandible. Switch sides and repeat.Photo 9 of 16
9. Place fingers underneath the jaw along the base of the mandible. As guest exhales, stretch in a superior direction to extend the head.Photo 10 of 16
10. Using the heel of the hand, massage the deltoid muscles with deep circular effleurage. Follow, using a fist, with a massage of the biceps while extending the elbow to further release tension.Photo 11 of 16
11. Remove residual product with an aromatic steam face cloth tied as a hand mitt. Then apply Brightening Correcting Serum to face, neck and décolleté. Follow with Green Science Firming Eye Crème, Brightening Correcting Lotion and/or Brightening Correcting Crème.Photo 12 of 16
12. If facial is during the day, apply appropriate SPF and complete Make-up Finishing Touch. Then, perform Closing Ritual, including Awakening Breath, Scalp Massage and Invigorating Stretch.Photo 13 of 16
Hair and Make-up: Adriana VaterPhoto By Photo: Mark Babushkin Photo 16 of 16
Day spas are meant to relax and whisk away clients, but not many manage to be the authentic escape that is Spa Adriana. Over the course of 25 years in business in Huntington, New York, owners John and Adriana Vater have created a Mayan-themed spa using museum-quality replicas of artwork found in the Yucatan. In the mid-’80s, the couple often traveled to the Yucatan to visit the beach. On one of their trips, Hurricane Gilbert hit. They drove inland to escape the damage and were there for nine extra days. With their free time, they visited Mayan ruins, including one site called Uxmal. “There was no one there except for one couple measuring the side of a building and drawing. We started talking with them and found out they were archaeologists doing restoration work,” says John. Luis Echeverria and his wife, Lourdes, eventually became good friends with the Vaters, and introduced them to others in the archaeology community there. Now, more than 20 years later, the Vaters make three or four trips to the region each year. Three years ago, with friends from the area, they also started an eco-tourism business.
Closer to home, the Vaters are strongly involved in their community, with their salon and spa residing on the same street in the same town for all 25 years of business. “I used to have an advertising business, and we looked at market research that showed how thriving communities did well. In those communities, a dollar would change hands eight times before leaving and going elsewhere. In less successful communities, it would change hands two to three times,” explains John. They’ve focused on helping to maintain the wealth within their own community by doing business with friends and neighbors when they’ve expanded and remodeled, and supporting local initiatives and non-profits. The approach worked in more than one way—in addition to a bustling main street location, the salon and spa has a loyal following. “Anyone who expects to run a successful business, but doesn’t take care of their community, won’t have a successful business,” says John. “We’re very blessed at this point in our lives—that we have the time and energy to put into this type of work and give back.”
Therapist: Christine Lee, spa educator for Aveda
Spa: Spa Adriana, Huntington, New York
Snapshot: This signature treatment is designed to target skin discoloration with a plant-powered brightening blend.
Duration: 60 minutes or 90 minutes (incorporating full foot reflexology treatment)
Recommended Home Care:
Morning: Brightening Cleanser, Brightening Treatment Toner, Brightening Correcting Serum, Brightening Correcting Lotion, Aveda SPF. Evening: Brightening Cleanser, Brightening Treatment Toner, Brightening Correcting Serum, Brightening Correcting Crème.
Lighten and Brighten
The new Enbrightenment line from Aveda is a four-step daily regimen, plus twice-weekly masque, that helps diminish the appearance of dark spots and discoloration and improve skin’s clarity. It helps reduce the appearance of existing dark spots by breaking them down, prevent new dark spots and discoloration with antioxidants, and illuminates with a proprietary, plant-derived Skin Brightening Blend. The six-piece line is comprised of Enbrightenment Brightening Cleanser, Treatment Toner, Correcting Serum, Correcting Lotion, Correcting Crème and Intensive Massage Masque. For more information on the products, visit www.aveda.com.