NAHA winner Faatemah Ampey uses pre-made pieces and accessories to make this updo extra special. Try it on clients for an extraordinary new year’s eve style! See Faatemah in this season’s Shear Genius starting February 8 on Bravo!
Hair: Faatemah Ampey
Make-up: David Maderich for mistermakeup.com
Photography: Roberto Ligestri
Photo 1 of 9
Before: Long hair makes for a great updo.
Photo 2 of 9
1. Prepare the hair by setting in jumbo horizontal sections using a curling iron. Begin at the nape.
Photo 3 of 9
2. Then lift up the entire section from above the rounds of the head. Spray along the root area for lift.
Photo 4 of 9
3. Blow dry to direct the hair up.
Photo 5 of 9
4. Place a rat or cushion along the base.
Photo 6 of 9
5. Drop out a section below and brush up and over the cushion. Secure at the top with bobby pins.
Photo 7 of 9
6. Take the length of the top section, direct to the crown and back comb.
Photo 8 of 9
7. Attach a pre-made piece along the rounds of the head. Secure with bobby pins.
Curly clients have long cocktailed and layered products to get the perfect combination of ingredients to suit their hair. Now, many manufacturers are taking the guesswork out of cocktailing by offering blended product hybrids, such as oil-creams, gel-oils and cream-serums that are designed to give textured clients more curl-care solutions.
Are you an independent creative stylist/business owner who wants to be an educator for a major manufacturer? Do you enjoy sharing your tips and tricks, and having fun while training? Kadus Professional is recruiting educators currently! Join their team today.
Joico Global Destination Education 2018 (#DestinationJoi2018) in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic will bring together salon professionals and a line-up of world class talent during a 7-day learning extravaganza. See the line-up!
For the past 15 years, Farouk Systems has been the official hair care sponsor for Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen, providing its team of stylists to help the contestants with their preliminary competitions, dress rehearsals and the live broadcast.