Hair stylist Tippi Shorter had a challenge for the BET Awards. Style Alicia Keys' hair for her red carpet appearance prior to the show, then complete two quick changes during the show to create different looks for each of Keys' performances. How did she do? You decide! Here's how she did it.
Red Carpet Style
1. Shampoo and condition, then use a foaming mousse for body just before blow drying.
2. Blow dry with a round brush. Shorter used a Brazilian Heat blow dryer and the Glamour brush by Monroe Brush.
3. Starting from the back, spray small sections of hair with Airplay Designing Hairspray by SUDZZfx and curl each section with a 1 1/2" curling iron. Shorter used a Brazilian Heat Ceramic Curl Iron.
4. Pin curl each section after curling to hold and lock in the spray.
5. Once all hair has been pinned, release all the curls and brush with paddle brush. For this step, Shorter used the Margaux brush by Monroe Brush.
6. Used a prebraided headband and place it in the front of the head. Then, gently lift the hair in front of and behind the braid for a modern look.
7. Finish the look with another spray of Airplay and glossing mist. Shorter likes Ojon Shine & Protect Glossing Mist.
First Performance (below left)
After putting the time into building a great base, for this look, Shorter removed the braided headband, and then simply parted hair down the center.
Keys shows off her second style of the
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
Second Performance (below right)
For the final look of the evening, Shorter brushed the hair to one side, adding a deep side part. She finished the style with some more SUDZZfx Airplay Designing Hairspray and Ojon Shine & Protect Glossing Mist.
Keys with her final look of the evening.