How To: Bold Statement with Pastel Color
From baliage to ombré to chalking, summer is the season to experiment with high-impact coloring techniques. In this how-to, Sue Pemberton creates a multi-dimensional bold color statement using Joico VeroLight Powder Lightener and Vero K-Pak Color.
Sue Pemberton Editorial Colorist, suepemberton.com
International Vero K-Pak Hair Color Artistic Director
All clients want to be lighter and brighter for summer, but those who want to make a statement will go bolder—blondes add a hint of pastels in pink or blue; brunettes add hues of red or purple. Shades of pink and indigo are also popular.
Base: colored level 4 dark brown
• Pre-Lighten with VeroLight Powder Lightener and 10 volume Veroxide
• Lift to Level 8 Yellow/orange
Formula A: Vero K-PAK Color Demi-Permanent 1/4 oz. Really Yellow Concentrate + 3/4 oz. G9 with Activator
Formula B: Vero K-PAK Color 7RC with 10-volume Veroxide
Formula C: Vero K-Pak Color 1/4 oz. Intensity Yellow with a 2-inch Ribbon of Vero Color Intensity Green
Formula D: Vero K-Pak Color 1/2 oz. Intensity Purple + ½-oz. Intensity Clear
Take vertical slice partings on the sides, alternating all four formulas for approximately four back-to-back slice partings. Proceed to the top section. Working diagonally, take back-to-back slice partings starting with formula A for two slice partings into formula B for two slice partings, formula C for two slice partings, and formula D for the last two slice partings.
LIKE THIS LOOK? YOU'LL LOVE THESE TOO!
• Check out this color chalking tutorial for another must-have look this summer!
• Pastel color is HOT... here's how to achieve the perfect pastel purple.
• Kevin Murphy's Color.Bug gives a color chalking effect, minus the chalk!
• Violet and Wild Orchid Vivids: The how-to!