NYFW: How To Create the Looks at Richard Chai AND Male Models!
Some of the best shows at New York's Mercedes Benz Fashion Week are the ones that feature both female and male models--it's the best of both worlds! Richard Chai's show on September 6 at Lincoln Center definitely delivered!
The males wore slicked-back hair with well-defined partings--here's how you can recreate the look:
1) Prep damp hair from roots to ends with Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep; blow dry hair smooth toward the back of the head with a Mason Pearson brush.
2) Flatiron hair in one-inch sections, working from sides to the top of the head, and brushing hair backward.
3) Emulsify a quarter-sized dollop of Aveda Men Firm Hold Gel and massage throughout the hair for shine and hold.
4) Create a left side part with a fine-toothed comb. Comb hair so it lays flat to the head.
5) Make another parting slightly off-center, from the hairline moving back diagonally, to create two asymmetrical sections on top of the head.
6) Flatten flyaways with a fine-toothed comb, directing hair toward the back and maintaining well-defined partings. Hold in place with Air Control Hair Spray.
7) Finish with a generous coating of Brilliant Spray-On Shine for a high-sheen, polished look.
While backstage with the models, we stopped Malcolm and Ben as they were having a break outside to chat with them about what it's like to be a male model. Afterall, they don't have to wear the painful heels or worry about tripping in a long gown on the catwalk--so what IS the experience like? We find out!
The female models wore high-shine ponies with asymmetrical partings secured low on the nape. At first glance, the ponies seem relatively simple--and though they weren't extremely intricate, they certainly paired beautifully with Chai's fashion. CLICK HERE to watch a quick recap of the show!
1) Prep damp hair from roots to ends with Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep; blow dry smooth then flatiron.
2) Create a square section on top of the head by parting hair along the parietal ridge. Secure on top of head with an elastic.
3) Smooth out bottom section with a fine-toothed comb and mist with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to control flyaways.
4) Secure bottom section into a low pony at the base of the head; flatiron loose ends to completely smooth out the pony. Hold in place with Air Control Hair Spray.
5) Release the top section of hair and flatiron to remove any kinks. Brush toward the right ear, making a clean parting on the left.
6) Emulsify a dime-sized dollop of Flax Seed Aloe Gel and smooth over the top of the hair for shine and hold.
7) Starting at the point where the left parting meets the forehead, make another part diagonally across the head, creating two asymmetrical sections on top of the head.
8) Pull each section back and secure into the pony at the nape,maintaining clearly defined partings.
9) Flatten flyaways with a finetoothed comb or soft brush and Air Control Hair Spray. Finish with a generous coating of Brilliant Spray-On Shine for gloss.