’08 Spa Snapshot
- The number of spas in the U.S. has continued to grow, with 18,089 spas as of June 2008. The breakdown of the types of spas in the U.S. has remained consistent, however:
Day spas – 80%
Resort/Hotel spas – 9%
Medical spas – 8%
Club spas – 3%
Destination spas – 0.5%
Mineral springs – 0.3%
- The spa industry employees 303,000 people – a number that has been growing as the number of spas increase.
- The number of spa visits has increased by 25 percent.
- Industry revenues have grown too, to nearly $11 billion – the highest they’ve ever been.
- The number of spa locations in the United States has grown at a robust annual average of 20 percent in the last eight years.
- Total industry revenues have been growing at an average rate of 13-percent per year since 1999.
- The rising number of spas and increased consumer demand led to an increase in overall industry employment of 31 percent.
ISPA members can check out the full findings of the report for free at www.experienceispa.com.