HOW-TO: Pops of Jewel Tones Using Pravana Haircolor
We like to call this one the "hidden treasure" technique. This technique replicates the variance in tones and dimension found in a perfectly cut gem. The flashes of spectral colors and brilliance found in jewels are only evident after cutting, and can be achieved in this look using Pravana Vivids.
FORMULA & APPLICATION
Natural level 3
Formula 1: 1 part Pravana Pure Light Power Lightener with 3 parts 30-volume developer
Formula 2: 110 g Pravana Vivids Emerald + 50 g Vivids Black (additive)
Formula 3: 30 g Vivids Blue Topaz + 30 g Vivids Emerald + 35g Vivids Clear
Formula 4: 50 g Vivids Amethyst + 20 g Vivids Black (additive)
Formula 5: 60 g Vivids Blue Topaz + 30 g Vivids Amethyst.
1. Pre-lighten all hair using Formula 1 and process 55 minutes. Shampoo, condition and dry hair completely.
2. To section, create a diamond shape above the parietal ridge. Then create two consecutive diamond shapes below this section.
3. Starting in the nape, apply Formula 2 about 2-3 inches from the base down. Then apply Formula 3 to the next 3-4 inches and to the remaining mid-shaft and ends. Blend the two formulas where they meet. Use a Meche Sheet to separate sections.
4. Continue working up the head, repeating the application procedure. This time, as you work up the head, adjust the length of application, applying Formulas 2 and 3 an extra 1-2 inches down the strand.
5. Move up to the next diamond shape, and apply Formula 5 to the entire section from base to ends. This solid diamond breaks up the color combination and creates dimension.
6. In the next section, apply Formula 4 from the base to 2-3 inches down. Then apply Formula 2 to the remaining mid-shaft and ends.
7. In the top diamond section, take a diagonal back subsection in the back-right portion of the diamond. Apply Formula 2 from the roots down about 5-6 inches. Then apply Formula
3 to the next 2-3 inches down the strand, and apply Formula 2 from the mid-shaft to the ends.
8. In the remaining section of the diamond, create 1-inch diagonal-forward subsections. Starting in the back, alternate applying Formula 2 from roots to 5-6 inches down, with applying it from roots to 2-3 inches down. Then apply Formula 3 to the next 3 inches down the strand and Formula 2 to the remaining mid-shaft and ends. Blend the colors where they meet.
9. Process 20-30 minutes at room temperature. Shampoo, condition and protect.