How-To: Candy Swirls
AFTERPhoto 2 of 8
2. Backcomb the whole ponytail. Spray with hairspray.Photo 3 of 8
3. Secure the hairpiece in the middle of the ponytail with bobby pins so when the rest of the hair is wrapped around it the colored hair will lay over it.Photo 4 of 8
4. Secure the hair around the hairpiece. Insert bobbypins anywhere underneath.Photo 5 of 8
5. “Waterfall” the hairpiece down and over. Take one section and create a snaking, curving S-shaped line of looping hair from the front of the head to the back.Photo 6 of 8
6. Continue to create swirls, loops, and “buns” around the head.Photo 7 of 8
1. Secure the model’s hair in high ponytail.Photo 8 of 8
Twenty-one year old Amanda Stone from Tampa, Florida, the first place winner of Pravana’s Show Us Your Vivids contest, knows what she likes.
Stone’s prize was a photo shoot with MODERN SALON and Van Osten, who mentored and encouraged the young artist during the day at Van Osten’s P!ay Hair Lounge.
In preparation for the shoot, Stone had been sent wefts of hair and two of every shade in the Vivids range. She laid down plastic on the kitchen table and threw a hair party.
“I started blending the colors for an ombre look. I didn’t use any foils because I didn’t want you to know where the color started and ended. They all swirl together like candy.”