Shawna Dorego, Creative Director of Jaguar Luxury hair extensions, just sent us the greatest write up on "HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR CLIP IN EXTENSIONS". This is so wonderfully thorough I thought it would be great for every salon to print this out and give to each and every client purchasing clip in extensions. THANKS SHAWNA!
How do I keep my hair extensions looking great?
Treat your new tresses as you would your own hair. Just like your own hair, natural hair extensions will accumulate residue through normal wear. However, you do not need to wash the hair everyday to keep consistent results. The hair should be washed after every 3-4 wears.
Easy-at- home maintenance instructions will help your client maintain their hair product.
- Gently remove any tangles before shampooing.
- Always use a mild, salon- quality shampoo, preferably one formulated for chemically treated hair.
- Wet hair under warm running water. Gently work a small amount of shampoo into the hair, stroking downwards from the point of attachment at the hair to the ends. Do not twist, scrub or rub the hair. Use shampoo sparingly.
- Rinse thoroughly under warm running water until the water runs clear. Be sure to rinse until all shampoo is removed.
- Natural hair extensions need to be conditioned after shampooing to maintain a healthy shine and promote styling ease.
- Place a small amount of conditioner in your hand. Gently work into the hair and let sit for 2 -4 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in cool water. Blot any excess water.
- On your towel- dried hair, spray a leave-in conditioner before beginning to comb the hair. Starting at the ends, grasp the hair above the area you are combing, hold hair firmly while moving a wide toothed comb down from your grip toward the ends. This comb- out method creates the least amount of tension that may result in hair breaking or pulling from the weft.
- Continue until you have combed all the hair and it is tangle-free. Never use a bristle brush on wet hair it may pull out or break the hair.
- Use a hair dryer on low setting.
Seasonal and styling elements can damage hair and make it dry. (Dry wind, UV rays, alcohol- based styling aids, heated styling tools, etc.)
During colder weather, switch to an extra-hydrating shampoo and conditioner, which contains natural conditioning ingredients that are especially beneficial for dry, brittle hair. Also, a nourishing, leave-in conditioner applied twice weekly is essential to help nourish, retain moisture and bring back sheen and suppleness.
Finally, never expose unprotected hair to the sun for prolonged periods of time or it will get stripped of its natural color and be prone to frizz.
Will my hair extensions tangle if I sleep in them?
No, simply wrap your hair in silk scarf while sleeping or section the hair into 4 sections and secure with hair clip.
Remember: Never sleep with wet hair. Always remove clip-in hair extensions before sleeping.
What is the best way to style my hair extensions?
Steam rollers are best for setting hair in colder temperatures. Blow dryers, flat irons and other thermal tools should be used at low settings.
Remember, hair burns. The hair may scorch if the heat setting is too high.
For cutting, or any chemical processes such as coloring, consult a professional stylist.
If you need your hair customized, cut or colored, it is best to take it to your hair stylist.
How do I store my clip-in hair extensions?
It is best to store the human hair extensions in its original container. However, you can store in a large “zip-type” bag. Human hair wigs should be kept on a mannequin head to retain its shape and fit.