Nobody out there is rocking the modern shag better than Kristen Stewart. She definitely made waves when she debuted it last summer, chopping her longer hair into a dark, textured cut perfect for her role as rocker Joan Jett in the movie, The Runaways. At its recent premiere, she was showing off a longer version—and proving that not all grow-outs have to be painful! It's all in the styling.
Stylist and platform artist Sam Villa says he has been spotting the shag everywhere, and it can be short (Ellen DeGeneres), medium (Stewart), or long (Ashlee Simpson). “The new shags have more weight around the perimeter and sink in the nape area enhancing head shape, as on Kristen Stewart,” says Villa.
Since styling the cut is key, here are Villa’s tips for pulling off the perfect finish.
1. Typically, shags look best when a root lifter or volumizing spray is used.
2. For height at the base, use a root lifting spray. Villa likes Redken rootful 06.
3. To bring layers to life, use a volumizing spray, like Redken layer lift 07 elevating spray gel, or bodifying cream mousse.
4. To style, work root lifting spray into damp hair at the roots and use volumizing spray or mousse from midshaft to the ends.
5. Finish with a blow dryer and your hands—think controlled chaos.