Fortner's story of “Riches to Rags to Richness” is going to be told; and solutions for salon owners—who live in fear of a walk out—will be shared. Keep your eye on major industry events in 2011 for his program: “WALK OUT!”
Over a recent dinner in a lovely Detroit suburb, Scott presented me with a summation of his self learning through his walk-out experience. I asked his permission to share it with you and am typing it just as it appeared on the page he handed to me.
Ann Mincey and Scott Fortner
They may be easy-to-read one liners, but as you look through take some time and contemplate what he’s saying—it is most deep and very meaningful.
YOU STILL SHOULD
It's not too late to get started!
• Goals: Emotional, financial, the things you know you should be pursuing.
• We all have excuses for ourselves—personal and professional—things we put off, not enough time with your family, too busy to get back into shape, taking those cutting classes, meeting new clients, going to symposiums, hair shows, etc. You may have put it off for one week, one year or 10 years.
• No one is too old or too young.
• The dream is on the inside! You need to take steps of faith—get off the dead center! Dreams still are alive on the inside. Don't settle and break bad habits.
• Don’t wait for someone to call you!
• Don’t wait for this new product or that new school. Research it and get good advice. Do whatever you can to pursue that dream personally and professionally.
FEELING DISAPPOINTED, DISCOURAGED
As you start moving towards your purpose you will feel a sense of destiny: You were made for more! Don’t settle! It's not too late to get started.
• Every setback puts you forward to your comeback. You may have tried something with building the right clientele a 1,000 times and it failed, but, 1,001 attempts could just change the course of your career!
• Get a new vision, take on new challenges. Have more enthusiasm and a sense of purpose.
Having a better attitude, but not being fulfilled? A gnawing feeling on the inside? Take a new direction!
• Unrest will keep you from enjoying your life and your career!
• You may have to get up early to change your life! Now is the time to pursue your goals!
• You need to get your fire back! Become passionate about your career! Not everyday or every year will you feel enthusiastic. But you need to realize your main gift is lying dormant.
• Write down what you’re good at and what you excel in.
• Giving the best of your life to a career that doesn’t excite you is a waste of time.
• Being stuck in a rut kills your sense of purpose.
• Reevaluate and make adjustments—no excuses.
"Four and a half years ago I had a salon walkout. I felt very discouraged. I didn't know what I wanted to do – keep things going or not?"
"I was at a friend’s house that day and she said, 'Scott, you should take back that salon.' Those words rang inside my head. The opportunity was there but I wasn’t sure."
"I put it off from month to month. But it lit a fire and the rest is history!"
"Make a bucket list of what things you want to accomplish personally and professionally before you die. Get a vision and a sense of destiny. Then prune things out of your life so you can achieve anything your dreams desire!"
"Don’t waste another year. Life is very short to be complacent."
PURSUE WHAT’S ON THE INSIDE
• Take classes
• Pursue hobbies
• Don’t do the same old thing with your life, your clients, your business and your personal life.
bout Ann Mincey
For 35 years, Ann Mincey’s training programs have helped beauty professionals reduce stress, refuel creativity, open their hearts and enrich their lives. As one of the first women to teach motivation, inspiration, confidence and well-being, Ann worked for Redken 5th Avenue NYC, where she advanced to Vice President of Global Communications before recently retiring. She remains a spokesperson for the brand, in addition to developing her own speaking and enrichment business. Having been recognized with numerous leadership awards and philanthropic honors, Ann is a sought-after public speaker and author of “Get Glowing! You are a Star Right Where You Are!”. She can be booked through Equanimity, Inc. speakers’ agency (equanimity.com). Salon industry inquiries should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.