Sherri Jessee, salon owner, educator and editorial stylist, works with the Miss Virginia USA Pageant, going backstage to style contestants. She also holds classes prior to the big night to help them prepare and perfect their beauty routines. While she has never seen anyone apply a slick of Vaseline to their teeth to keep them smiling for hours there are a few beauty tips and tricks that are universal for Miss USA contenders:
- MANE STAGE: No secret to beauty professionals but pageant girls all use extensions to add volume and length. Jessee uses the Simplicity line. “The hair is hand-knotted right up to the edge so it lays perfectly flat to the head. It disappears into the hair and you don’t feel or see the separation.”
- FAUX FRINGE: Jessee always recommends lining up lashes to the eye before applying because most lashes need to be trimmed. She also cuts into sections and applies just pieces to the outer or inner corners for emphasis. Because no beauty queen wants to contend with loose lashes, Jessee’s adhesive of choice is industry standard DUO in Clear.
- LASTING LIPS: From budget to high-end, Jesse recommends long-wearing lip colors and stains. “They are like semi-permanent paints.” And pageant girls always apply just a teeny bit outside their natural lip line to create the illusion of fullness.
- HOT RODS: Hot rollers don’t get hot enough for pageant pretty curls. A curling iron is Jessee’s tool of choice. “I tell them to always, always clip the curl and allow them to cool before combing-out.”
- FAKE BAKE: Mix the tanner with a body lotion before applying. “It creates a very natural look.”