At the Sahag Workshop in New York City, color director Doug Macintosh uses baliage to add brightness and dimension to deep shades. He prefers L’Oréal Professionnel’s Platinium with 20-volume developer because “it stays wet like a paste and doesn’t dry out.” His tips for the best baliage:
• To leave darkness at the base, create a V-shape with the “legs” at the root area.
• Space highlights about a ½-inch apart for a brightening effect.
• Wipe off excess lightener with your fingers to ensure no bleed marks.
• Lay strands on cotton and cover with cellophane, so you can see when you reach the desired amount of lift.
• To remove the cotton, apply conditioner and rinse; it’ll slip right out.