Want to learn how to style the cloud-like texture that NAHA winner Steve Elias created for the cover of April MODERN SALON? In this episode of Modern Salon TV you will learn how to do exactly that!
1. Begin by prepping the hair with a non-aerosol, thermal protecting spray.
2. Then take a two inch section of hair at the nape and gently backcomb the entire section from base to ends.
3. Use a crimping iron on the backcombed section, press the crimping iron from base to ends remembering to press fully into the backcombing.
4. Repeat this process on the entire head.
5. Once the whole head is set, beginning at the nape use a paddle brush to brush out the set completely.
6. Spray the hair with a finishing spray to mold it into your desired shape.
| Elias using Number 4's Mighty Hair Spray.|| Elias crimping the hair.|
Later in the episode Beauty and Fashion Director Maggie Mulhern catches an interview with Lynn Tully, lead hairdresser for American Idol. She talks about what kind of work she does during the week and we get a glimpse at the kinds of products and tools she uses at her styling station backstage. "This show is like no other, they (the contestants) really decide what they want to look like," she says. "Sometimes they will change their mind, and it's like 10 minutes till the show, but it's really about them, it's not about us at all."
| Lead hairdresser for American Idol, Lynn Tully|
Watch the episode now!