In Oregon, the Teals add local flavor to hair color with wood-grained looks. Hair: Teals for Teal Salon, Portland, Oregon Make-up: Denise D’Angelo; Photography: Laura Domela; Production: Teaching ARTistry
1: 1 oz. L’Oréal Professionnel Richesse 6.13 with 1.5 oz. 9-volume Richesse Developer
2: 2 scoops Platinium Lightener with 2 scoops 20-volume Platinium Developer
3: 1 oz. L’Oréal Professionnel Majirel 8.01 and 1.5oz. 30-volume Majirel Developer
4: 1 oz. Majirel 10.01 and 1.5 oz. 9-volume Majirel Developer
Steps to Success:
1. Apply Formula 1 to the previously lightened hair in the nape area only.
2. Take two, 1/2-inch, vertical zigzag partings on both sides, placing one in front and one in back of each ear. Apply Formula 1 to the previously colored hair only and seal in foil. This emulates “cracks” in wood.
3. Take a football-shaped section on top, and apply Formula 2 to the regrowth.
4. Through the rest of the hair, take 1/8 to 1/4-inch vertical sheets and alternate Formulas 2 and 3 on the regrowth only.
5. In the fringe, alternate 1/8- and 1/4-inch, vertical slices, applying Formulas 1 through 3 in a 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 1 placement pattern. This creates a lighter feeling with a hint of lowlights.
6. Return to any areas with Formula 2 at the roots and pull it through the ends. Process to Level 10. Then shampoo, rinse and apply Formula 4 as a toner to all the hair except the nape. Process for three minutes, then rinse.