The Golden Ratio in Hair Color

By Victoria Wurdinger | 06/27/2011 11:54:00 AM

The initial sectioning Color in Balance
For centuries, the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci Spiral have been considered the most pleasing-to-the-eye designs in nature—just look at crystals, snowflakes, seashells and the DNA double helix—even Twitter used the Golden Ratio in its redesign. But in the hands of Tanya Ramirez, a stylist at Sweet 9 Salon in Hollywood, the concepts translate into sacred geometry coloring.

The final results “Through sacred geometry, we can discover the inherent proportion, balance and harmony in any situation,” says Ramirez. “I used the Golden Ratio in many ways, from sectioning and color placement to the ratios in my formulations.” Next, Ramirez plans to merge Reiki and hair cutting. To view her Golden Ratio video and learn more, visit untamedinstincts.com.

Here’s how Ramirez creates Golden Ratio highlights:
Foils: Pre-lighten using one scoop Wella Blondor powder lightener mixed with 1 oz of 10-volume developer. Apply the new base color between the foils: 1 oz Wella Color Touch 5/0 and 1/4 oz of 4.0 with 2.5 oz 20-volume developer. Process for 20 minutes and rinse. Then tone just the fringe highlights and the ones in front of the right ear with 1 oz Pravana Chromasilk Vivid, Silver (a direct dye). Tone remaining pre-lightened sections using 1 oz Wella Color Touch 7/1 with 2 oz 10-volume developer. Process for 15 minutes; rinse and condition.

Begin the first right triangular section just off-center from the crown. Continue the foil placement per the diagram.

RELATED ARTICLES

Comments (7) Leave a comment

Name
e-Mail (required)
Location

Comment:

characters left

MeenaAstrid
Indiana  |  September, 04, 2011 at 12:05 PM

REALLY? Personally...this is unattractive and needs to go the way of the perm. I call this 'dye job' color correction.

Bunny
Tampa, FL  |  September, 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I agree, this "look" needs to go away, its not pretty, it looks trashy.

christinekaren
canada  |  September, 26, 2011 at 02:10 PM

I dont like it either >.<

christinekaren
canada  |  September, 26, 2011 at 02:10 PM

I dont like it either >.<

Fiona
Illinois  |  September, 30, 2011 at 07:41 AM

There is nothing trashy about it....its prety interesting and simple. If you look at lady gaga hairstyle, make-up and clothing, how should I put it nicely....well that IS trashy.

UntamedInstincts
Hollywood, CA  |  December, 10, 2011 at 04:25 AM

Dear Meena, Bunny & Christine: Your constructive criticism is appreciated. I suppose there are bound to be dissenting opinions. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd like to thank Modern Salon and fans of my hair design for their continued support. Cheers!

Victoria Kuzma
Vancouver, BC  |  January, 08, 2012 at 05:48 PM

Great idea and execution! I have thought about doing this and am not surprised someone beat me to it. For those who think this look is trashy, LOOK AT HER EYES! The base colour is correct for bringing it out, and both blonde tones match her eye colour. Perhaps only someone with art+design training can appreciate what's been done here? I'm a Reiki master and have tried mixing haircutting+Reiki already...people sometimes fall asleep in the chair or lose track of time. It's better for the more high-strung client, or as part of a head massage :)

Feedback Form