The Body Perfect Salon in Las Vegas caters to men with a complete barbershop that includes a private entrance. It also offers an extensive hair-removal menu—one of the fastest-growing men's services.
Salon manager Chasten, who is also a hair removal tech, trains her staff on the Nufree no-wax system. She says it's gentle enough for a first-timer and leaves skin soft—something even a real man's man will appreciate. "Most men want hair removal for their face or back, especially before they hit the pool or the beach," says Chasten.
A full beard hair removal runs $90, while the back costs $75. But it doesn't stop there—the Body Perfect technicians fulfill requests for bikinis and Brazilian-style removal from a few brave men. For those areas, male technicians perform the service.
"We feel men are left out of salons," explains Chasten. "They get their hair cut and that's it. But here, they can be a little spoiled."
the body perfect salon's men's
no-wax hair removal
1. Check to make sure hair is the appropriate length for removal; trim if necessary.
2. Men's skin tends to be oilier than women's, so wipe the area to be treated with a dry cloth.
3. During this preparation, explain the hair-removal process to the client. For new clients, perform a patch test to make sure they can tolerate the procedure.
4. Apply Nufree treatment with downward strokes. Apply paper strip, and pull up quickly, removing hair.
5. Continue removing hair in sections. Apply Finipil solution to skin, which will soothe and protect.
6. For at-home care, clients should apply Finipil daily to reduce unwanted hair. Clients should also refrain from working out immediately after this service, because
perspiration could irritate the skin.
the change of life
Leave it to a California doctor to create an esthetic paradise in a medical center. At Ocean Oasis in Santa Monica, Lisa Masterson, M.D., offers gynecological exams and ultrasounds, along with an extensive selection of facials, waxing, massages and acupuncture. Post-service, clients can gaze at the ocean or take a dip in the on-site pool.
Though Dr. Masterson welcomes women at all stages in life, she enjoys treating menopausal women. "They are at a good stage because they get to focus on themselves a little bit more," she observes. "They are figuring out what they want in life
and going after it." Because these women are also increasingly concerned with staying healthy, Dr. Masterson welcomes the chance to re-educate them on taking care of their bodies.
Her staff takes good care of these clients, too. In the waiting area, there is soothing music and a hostess offering herbal tea and light refreshments. Clients can soak their feet and enjoy a soothing eyepack while waiting for their technician. In the
treatment rooms, therapists are careful to keep temperatures at a comfortable level and use only high-quality linens to ensure the ultimate in relaxation. "It's a place where they can forget all worries and decrease their stress, which plays a factor in aging and chronic diseases," explains Dr. Masterson.
To combat hot flashes, cool neck packs are kept on hand, and highly emollient products are used to soothe aging, dry skin. One targeted service, the Ginseng and Pearl Hydrating Treatment, takes it a step further and leaves mature skin glowing. Says Dr. Masterson, "It aims to replenish and restore natural suppleness."