Right now, your spa is buzzing with pre-holiday business, and you're pleased that clients are coming to you for all of their wellness needs. But what about you? It's time to take care of the caretaker with this simple service that skin care therapists can perform on themselves for a quick pick-me-up, at the beginning of the day or before bed to help you sleep. It's guaranteed to calm body and mind while uplifting your spirit.
Natural health care company Maharishi Ayurveda prescribes this warm oil massage, also known as Abhyanga. It's best before your morning shower or nighttime bath to wash off residue and complete the de-stressing experience. According to the company, "Massaging your whole body with oil feeds your skin and helps release toxins that accumulate in the body and skin over time. It also improves circulation, relaxes the mind and the body, and nourishes all the tissues and organs." Try using either almond oil or frankincense essential oil for best results.
1. Fill a small plastic bottle with oil and place it in a glass of hot water for a few minutes to heat the oil.
2. Apply a small amount of oil to the body starting with the scalp all the way down to your toes.
3. Start massaging your scalp slowly with firm pressure. After two minutes, move down to your ears and face using small circles. (If you have just done a facial, skip the face.)
4. Then start with the left shoulder in circular motion. Follow with long strokes on the upper arm, circles on the elbow and long strokes on the forearm. Circle around the wrist and perform long strokes on the hand. Repeat with the other arm.
5. Use circular strokes on the chest and the stomach and upward strokes on the lower back.
6. Continue on to the left leg, by doing circles on the joints and long strokes on the limbs. For feet, exert pressure on individual toes and use circular strokes on the ball of the foot and around the ankle. This will improve circulation and overall energy levels.