On November 4, 2012, American Crew crowned one lucky and talented groomer with the title of Best Men's Hairstylist in the U.S. during the Opening Night event in Denver, Colorado: Patrick Chai of Floyd 99's Barbershop in LA.
Chai will also fly to LA to represent the US in the final round of the Global Face Off Competition.
But, that's not all... Chai also won:
- "W ARTISTS" stylist contract for one year: Work in the fascinating world of advertising and entertainment, behind the scenes of some of the biggest brands.
- A photo shoot with an internationally renowned photographer, models and assistants, wardrobe and make-up
- A finalist plaque for display at your station
- A professionally retouched poster featuring your look
- Mention in the American Crew Style Selector
- A celebratory award dinner for a first look at everything American Crew has in store for 2013
Winner: Patrick Chai
Method: "This hair cut was done entirely with shears," Chai says. "I first did a uniform cut around the sides and the back. I left more length on the top and performed notch cutting to add texture. After drying the hair, I also added more texture to the sides. I knew I wanted to emphasize the texture and a matte finish, so I chose to use Fiber. I worked it through the hair, twisting the ends of pieces on top."
Inspiration: "We get a lot of conservative young professionals at our shop who settle into the routine of getting the same conservative hair cut. I was inspired by their conformity to create something that was fitting for young professionals but with a little bit of an edge. I'm also drawn toward modern style and architecture, so I feel the added texture in this cut adds play while keeping things current."
Runner Up: Sarah Adams
Method: "This horseshoe rests from above the crown and points downward toward the temples," Adams says. "This causes the undulating line seen at the profile. Clipper-over-comb with scalp exposure close to the transition. Horizontal disconnected transition adds to the dramatic rolling sensation sweeping from the back to the front in a 'jelly roll.' Grooming Cream amplifies the shape with maximum shine and hold."