Jose Longoria of San Antonio created the winning style in Sport Clips’ “The Look” national stylists competition in April, 2014. He was among six Sport Clips stylists from the franchises’ 11,000+ professionals throughout the U.S. and Canada invited to the company’s national meeting to showcase their all-star haircutting skills and creativity in the annual competition.
“Our stylists are skilled at creating the looks guys are sporting all across the country, and this competition allows them to really demonstrate their talent,” says Julie Vargas, Sport Clips’ director of Career Opportunities.
The competition was hosted by Julian Perlingiero, Sport Clips’ artistic consultant, and Area Coach Desiree Weaver. Tommy Callahan of JPMS, Adriana Fournier of American Crew, Jason Schwind of Nioxin and Rafe Hardy of Sexy Hair judged results after finalists cut and created looks on models’ hair in front of the company’s 2,200 National Huddle meeting attendees.
Styles represented at this year’s competition include: faded comb-over with a hard part; slicked back, blended and pushed forward sides; clean-cut, sleek; classic with hard part; sleek, but textured; and, the winning style, classic pompadour with a deep side part. Each stylist was judged on how he or she followed the Sport Clips All Star Haircutting System; ability to adapt to model and Sport Clips clients; overall finished design; and interview with judges.
Sport Clips Haircuts “The Look” National Stylist Competition
• Winner - Jose Longoria - San Antonio, TX - $2,500 and hairstyling tools
• 2nd place (runner up) - Cristina Sales - Las Vegas, NV - $1,500 and hairstyling tools
• 3rd place - Danielle Clewlow - London, Ontario Canada - $1,000 and hairstyling tools
• Honorable Mention - Danielle Allemand - Summerville, SC - $500 and hairstyling tools
• Honorable Mention - Teri Telega - Poland, OH - $500 and hairstyling tools
• Honorable Mention - Ashley Gream - Champaign, IL - $500 and hairstyling tools
Longoria was selected as “The Look” competition winner. He describes his winning style as “Classic ‘Mad Men’ pompadour with a deep side party that’s suitable for more clients.” Longoria used Mitch Clean Cut and Hardwired products to finish off the style. He says he’s been cutting hair since he was young and decided to pursue it as a profession.