Color: Deb Gavin
Cut: Laurie Haney
Photography: Roberto Ligresti
Make-up: David Maderich for M.A.C. Cosmetics
Fashion styling: Rod Novoa
This season, fashion goes graphic with powerful black and white stripes and prints accenting shapely silhouettes. This creates the perfect backdrop to showcase bold color designs and sleek finishes.
For this MODERN photoshoot, it was the fashion that inspired Deb Gavin, International Artistic Director for Keratin Complex Color Therapy, to create a red-violet finish with pearly copper melted shades for a look that makes a statement.
“This is strong color with lots of variance that can change into a different look with the flick of a comb,” says Gavin who, along with Laurie Haney who created the cut for this session, owns Fresh Hair Studio in Southampton, Pennsylvania. “You can have high contrast and drama but within a soft placement. Diagonal lines allow for a softer blending of colors that is still high impact, but not stripe-y or in your face.”
Background shade: 30 ml 8R + 20 ml 7RV with 50 ml 20-volume developer
Shade 1: 20 ml 4G + 20 ml 4R with 40 mls 20-volume developer
Shade 2: 10 ml 11G + 30 ml CP Kerahold Therapy with 40 ml 30-volume developer
1. Begin by cleansing the canvas of existing color for a more striking finish. At the nape, take small sections on foil and apply 30 mls It’s a Blonde Thing Powder Lightener + 30 ml 10-volume It’s a Blonde Thing developer. Work to the top of the head and process for 5-10 minutes. Shampoo and condition.
2. Create a diamond shape at the top of the head. Mirror that section and create another below it that is about an inch wide. From that section create vertical subsections to the perimeter.
3. Apply the background shade from scalp to ends in the top diamond shape. In the subsection below, alternate background shade at the scalp, tilting the brush on a diagonal and then blending down into Shade 1.
4. Repeat the application, but blend into Shade 2.
5. In the next slice or subsection, apply the background color from scalp to ends. Repeat that pattern throughout the subsection. Working in the vertical blocks, alternating background scalp to ends in every other subsection.
6. Process for 35 minutes and then shampoo and condition.
1. Begin the cut in the back. Comb down the hair from the occipital. Cut straight across to the desired length. Work up to the crown.
2. Pull up sections from along the rounds, directing to the back. Chip into the ends to add texture, layering at the same time.
3. Comb the hair down from a side parting. Cut to blend the front with the back, angling to leave length toward the face. Chip into the ends for a soft fi nish.
4. Work along the rounds of the head to create layers, blending in to the length. Take 1-inch vertical sections, pull out from the head and cut to connect to the length. Work along the parietal, cutting to blend.
5. Blow dry over a round brush with elevation, creating a soft finish throughout.
Color: Keratin Complex Color Therapy, It’s a Blonde Thing Lightener
Shampoo/conditioner: Keratin Color Care by Keratin Complex
Stylers: Bold Hold Maximum Finishing Hairspray, Root Lift Spray Gel
Tools: Keratin Complex Heat Therapy Ceramic Ball blow dryer, Stealth 3 Iron
Clips: Keratin Complex
Blush: Cheeky Cream Blush by Butter London
BB Cream: Auraline Beauty
Mascara: Beauty Addicts
Nail color: OPI
Lip color: Body of Royalty
Eye colors: Jane Iredale