MODERN found an amazing makeover on Instagram posted by Heidi Porath, owner of the Serendipity Salon of Tampa, Florida. Client Aubrey came in wanting to "chop off her hair" and Porath decided to address the color as well. "It was too gold," she say. "I wanted to go more beige blonde. It is the color of the season."
Porath agreed to share the HOW TO:
1. Precut the hair. Remove 5 inches ("Getting foils through that would be madness!")
2. Using the end of a tail comb, weave through the hair (at front alternate slices and weaves) and place on foil. Apply Blonder Multi Blonde (Wella) and 30 volume root to ends.
3. While processing go between the foils and apply Rusk 10.000 (Neutral Cool or NC) from root to mid shaft to take away any gold and to lift the color slightly.
4. Process for 10 - 15 minutes. Shampoo and condition the hair. Towel dry.
5. To tone, apply the new Rusk Icy White Direct dye all over the hair. Leave on for 3 minutes max. ("Make sure to watch it. If you leave on too long the hair may take on a lavendar hue.") Follow with a light shampoo and moisture mask.
6. Now refine the cut. Create a heavy weight line, an inverted V.
7. Create long, flowing layers and texturize the ends with a texturizing shear. (Porath uses Rusk SA Shears and Rusk Gamma Swivel Texture Thinning Shears).