Octavia Spencer glowed as a presenter for the 2013 Academy Awards. Modern got the HOW TO create both hair and make up:
The high ballerina inspired top knot was created by Jill Crosby (using T3 appliances). "I wanted her look to be youthful and soft to complement the [Tadashi] dress," says Jill. "I added the bang to soften the look. I ventilated a hair piece for her that was color blended and matched her hair. Cutting a bang is a big commitment so this is a great alternative. Leaving the long sweeping sides of the bang helps to create even more softness with the angular feeling of say a 'Betty Page' shamped bang." Jill points out that the chignon should not be too perfect or it goes "prom-ish. Let there be some natural texture to it and don't make it too pristine."
1. Smooth the hair with a blow dryer and barrel brush.
2. Set the hair in hot rollers (Jill used the T3 Voluminous Hot Rollers).
3. Once the hair is smoothed, pull the hair into a high ponytail.
4. Curl the strands from the ponytail (Jill used a T3 SinglePass Twirl Curling Iron).
5. Add a pre-curled full hair extension to the ponytail.
6. Work the ponytail in to a wavy chignon. Use a 2.5 inch straight pin to pin it back.
7. Install a custom-made bang piece to keep the look soft.
Valerie Noble designed Octavia's red carpet glow, emphasizing that priming the skin is essential for both beauty and protection. In five steps she breaks down the look:
1. Prepare the skin. Moisturize with RX for Brown Skin Essential Hydration moisutrizing cream followed by RX for Brown Skin Age Block AV Shield with SPF 15.
2. Apply foundation matching her skin tone followed by a dusting of Hi-Def translucent powder to set the base.
3. For the eye: apply a nude shade and light gold shimmer in bronze (by MAC). Add a pair of lashes and line with a black eyeliner (Fluidline by MAC). Smudge a dark brown shade on the outer corner of the eye along the lash line.
4. For the cheek: Dust the high point of the cheek with Fever (MAC).
5. For the lips: First line the lip with wine color (Storm by Fashion Fair). Finish with a deep red (Earth by Fashion Fair).