What is Artist Session
Watch the video
Where is it held
What will I get out of it
What is the fee
What else do I need to know
How do I register
Where do I stay
Response from attendees
New York, Oct. 14 and 15, NYC
What is Artist Session?
Artist Session is a two-day class that gives stylists a hands-on experience with photo shoots. Topics covered include:
- Casting for the perfect model
- How to become a freelancer
- How to create a press kit
- How to contact a magazine/newspaper/editor
- What to do with the images
- The dos and don’ts of on-set styling
- The importance of make-up and fashion as it relates to hair in photography
- How to create great hair for the camera by looking from the photographer’s viewpoint
Day One (9:30am-4:30pm): Education from MODERN’s Fashion and Beauty Director, Maggie Mulhern; top NYC fashion photographer Roberto Ligresti and renowned make-up artist David Maderich on how to create your best shoot. A guest speaker is also included on this day and attendees are given the opportunity to be part of the model casting call as well. A light snack is available to attendees during this portion of the session.
Day Two (9am-4:30pm): Attendees get hands-on with their models. Working with make up artists and fashion stylists, the finished look is perfected. The artists then work with Ligresti to create the right lighting for their model's look and ultimately create the perfect shot. Lunch is served on day two.
To view it in high quality, click the "HQ" button.
Read Maggie's blogs about AS: The First Ever Artist Session and Artist Session 2/NYC.
Where is it held? The first Artist Session was held in New York City in two locations: Roberto Ligresti Studio and Jack Studio. The second Session is scheduled for the same locations. In LA, Day One will take place in Beverly Hills and Day Two will take place in a photo studio nearby.
| Jill Robertazzi beefs up her model's hairline with XFUSION hair fibers.
What will I get out of it? The experience and knowledge of MODERN’s photo team is invaluable. Attendees walk away with the inside scoop on what editors are looking for, how to work effectively with a fashion photographer, maximizing the make-up and clothing to make hair styles “pop” in a photograph and much, much more. Artist Session is also unique because attendees not only participate hands-on, they also receive a disk of the images they created.
What is the fee? The fee is $2000 (not including hotel/travel expenses). If you wish to bring an observer/assistant on the second day of Artist Session, the fee for that person is $450.
What else do I need to know? Artist Session will supply a nice assortment of irons, blowers, etc., but you should always bring your favorite items.
- water bottle (models will come with freshly shampooed hair)
- favorite products
- favorite tools (such as blow dryer/flat iron/curling iron/etc)
- bobby and hairpins
- extensions/clip-ins (always a good idea!)
- rats or poufs (optional)
- hair accessories (optional)
- extension cord
- notepad and writing utensil
- your favorite tearsheets from any publication (we want to learn what inspires you!)
- video camera (optional, for use on day two only)