Warmer weather is here—and with it comes romantic hues, whimsical textures and ethereal finishes. In this MODERN session, Antonio Corral Calero, Moroccanoil’s artistic director, blends his love for diffused texture and braids with the top-knot’s trendsetting silhouette.
2013 was the year of the sock bun, but for 2014’s prom and wedding season, it’s all about dressing up the trend with diffused texture and braids for a flirty finish that will hold all the way through the last dance.
"This look is very fairy-like. It has all the elements that make a woman vulnerable but strong—perfect for the confident woman," says Calero.
The key to creating this look is to begin with the right texture. The braids are wrapped along th ehead, working up and over the rounds. "It's playful," Calero says, "and wearable. I think it's an inspiring look for the client and the hairdresser."
1. To create soft hair but with grip, apply Moroccanoil Treatment Light and volumizing mousse to clean, dry hair in 1/2-inch sections from base to ends.
2. Comb through the hair.
3. Rough dry and rake with fingers to lift, directing the hair up from the base. Use fingers and flat brush up to allow diffused hair to expand.
4. Braid the hair. Take a section 2 inches from the nape from the tip of the lower ear. Braid close to the scalp directing to the opposite ear.
5. Continue over to the opposite ear, braiding to the end. Secure and allow the end to drop.
6. Take the next section directly above the first section, working from the opposite direction.
7. Continue to braid over to the opposite side. The third braid is placed directly above.
8. Continue to the end, directing up to the fringe. Creating "rivers, halos and crowns" within three braids by diffusing. Take the remaining ends and braid into the original braid.
9. Return to the braids and pull open to create texture and flyaways.
PRODUCTS & TOOLS
Shampoo/conditioner: Moroccanoil Volumizing
Styling: Treatment Light, Root Boost, Volumizing Mousse, Luminous Hairspray Strong, all Moroccanoil
Brushes: Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Brush
Dryer: Moroccanoil 2000 Professional Series Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer
Nails: CND Lilac Longing
Fashions: Joanna Mastroiann