Depending on your state’s health guidelines, your salon is either eager for the go-ahead to reopen or deep in the process of booking clients who’ve been without their hair pro for months. While you’ve got your hands full with much-needed cuts and color corrections, you might be wondering about how to prioritize small services, like bang trims.
“It’s been tricky trying to figure out how to work in small bang trim appointments with our current salon protocol, while trying to limit the amount of daily traffic in the salon and maximize my current schedule,” shares Katie Pattison (@katiepdxhair), who has been working with clients for 16 years and recently stepped into ownership at Love Salon (@lovesalonpdx) in Portland, Oregon. She specializes in razor precision haircutting – shags, mullets, bobs, pixies, bangs, and everything in between – and loves helping her clients find and embrace their natural hair textures and wash-and-wear hair. Naturally, Katie has received tons of inquiries about bang trims since her salon reopened.
In an Instagram post, Katie addresses the big dilemma: how to work in fringe appointments amidst the rush of clients and full service demands. Get ready to screenshot and brainstorm a booking process that works best for you and your team!
“I know many of my clients have bangs and y’all want them trimmed, so I’ve come up with a plan for the new year:
- I will have a few bang trim spots each week that will be first come, first serve and for RETURNING CLIENTS ONLY. (Sorry new clients, if you want your bangs trimmed you will need to schedule a new client haircut appointment.) These spots are for my clients who already have bangs, no new bang requests. ⠀
- I will announce these spots in my Instagram stories as they pop up, so please check my stories or turn on notifications if you want to be alerted as soon as they come available. ⠀
- To claim a bang trim spot, please respond to my story with your first and last name), and which spot you want. I will confirm if you are the first person to respond. Anyone else who responds will be ‘in line’ to get that spot if the first person does not confirm or cancels. ⠀
- Bang trim appointments will be 30 mins long, which will give us enough time to trim your bangs and bits/face framing and will be $40. For my long hair clients, think of it as a tune-up between haircuts. For my short hair clients, or those growing out short hair, I’ll include a neck trim - think of it as a neck bang trim. ⠀
- PLEASE BE ON TIME. Since we will only have 30 mins, we can’t start late, so if you are 5 or more mins late your appointment will be cancelled, and you will be charged for a missed appointment. ⠀
- All appointment protocol and cancellation policies will apply to bang trim appointments, just as they do to full haircut appointments.”
We all have to be flexible in this new world. With the right structures in place, you’ll be banging in no time.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.