Skin Cancer Awareness month is around the corner, and it's a time to join together and educate our clients to help save lives. Derm skinfluencer and Mohs surgeon Dr. Sheila Farhang breaks down her favorite sunscreen picks and the latest trends she is seeing to help increase compliance - from SPFs with added benefits to sheer textures and even pops of color.
SPF.... With Benefits
There are a number of new SPF options with benefits other than just protecting you from the sun, including ingredients that help reduce signs of aging, and SPF products that also brighten skin.
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral SPF Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid: Mineral SPF moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid provides 12-hour hydration and helps reduce signs of premature skin aging caused by the sun. This mineral sunscreen for face is formulated with Cell-Ox Shield Technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants.
- SuperGoop Daily Dose Vitamin C + SPF 40 Serum: A two-in-one daily dose of high potency Vitamin C + SPF 40 serum that helps visibly brighten skin and prevent the two main causes of dark spots: UV and blue light.
Do you get a white cast when you apply SPF? There is a new wave of SPF formulas this year that are sheer on the skin (and lips too!), suitable for all skin tones.
- EltaMD UV Sheer Broad-Spectrum SPF 50+: Formulated to feel light and airy on the skin, and does not leave any white cast.
- Works on all skin tones, Fitzpatrick I-VI
- Hydrating formula goes on smooth, absorbs quickly, and does not leave the face shiny
- Helps even out skin tone and soothes heated skin
- Water- and sweat-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- Broad-spectrum SPF 50+ protection
- Antioxidant protection to combat skin-aging free radicals
- EleVen by Venus Williams Perfect Form Sheer Lip Balm Gloss with SPF 15: The EleVen By Venus Willians Perfect Form Lip Balm SPF 15 comes in four sheer shades: the untinted 15 Love; a pop of red via Venus; a light coral called Power Player; and a soft berry pink named Game Day. The vegan formula provides broad spectrum UV-protection thanks to 20% zinc oxide, while conditioning and hydrating the lips with bayberry fruit wax (a plant-based alternative to beeswax), and hydrating shea butter.
Clients now more than ever are looking for products that are natural and good for the planet. Here are some favorite reef-friendly picks!
- Coola Sunscreen Stick SPF 30: This reef friendly organic sunscreen stick gives you water-resistant, broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection whenever you need it. Supercharged with an antioxidant-rich Plant Protection® complex, this naturally-scented Tropical Coconut stick helps fight free radicals while nourishing your skin. The best part— this Farm to Face® formula is strong enough for long active days in the sun but still light enough for everyday use.
- eos Ultra Care SPF Coconut Lip Balm: The reef-safe 100% natural formula, provides broad-spectrum SPF 30 protection and shields lips against external aggressors −all while keeping lips ultra-moisturized and tasting delicious. Formulated with SuperShieldTM shea complex, a natural, ultra-performing ingredient combo of sustainable shea, natural extracts and moisturizing oils that work together to protect lips and reinforce the skin’s natural barrier. Available in: Coconut and Watermelon.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.