Instagram is making it easier to address people by their pronouns – without taking up valuable space in the bio. The company rolled out a new feature that allows users to add up to four pronouns to their profile, which can be edited or removed at any time. Additionally, you can choose to display pronouns to only people who follow you.
We use pronouns to refer to someone without using their name. A 2019 study by Pantene and Dresscode Project polled 300 people who identified as members of the LGBTQ+ community about their visits to the salon, and 93% revealed they had been misgendered during an appointment.
As clients and beauty professionals alike become more diverse, they deserve positive, gender-affirming spaces. Instagram is a prominent marketing platform for many people in the industry and adding pronouns to your bio is a great way to practice inclusiveness in your business.
How to Add Pronouns to Your Profile
- Tap your profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- Tap Edit Profile below your bio, then tap Pronouns.
- Start typing your pronouns, then select them from the results.
- Decide to show to followers only or keep them public.
- Tap Done in the top right, then tap Done again to save your updated profile information.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.