The Emmys were full of show-stopping looks, with drop-dead dresses and suits complete with the perfect hair, makeup and nails to set everything off. Below, we’ve got a roundup of Emmy beauty moments, complete with information about the products used and insight from the artists who created the magic.
Hair by: Jenny Cho
Products Used: Rene Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray and STYLE Texture Spray.
Hair by: Mara Roszak
Inspiration: “Annie has a natural beautiful ease about her. We decided to create natural flowing tousled waves.”
Tips/Technique from Roszak:
- I started by applying Wella Professionals RŌZ Santa Lucia Styling Oil to her damp ends and mid-lengths for smoothing and shine.
- For volume at the roots, I applied Wella Professionals EIMI Root Shoot Precise Root Mousse then blow dried Annie’s hair with the ghd Helios professional hair dryer and ghd Ceramic Vented Radial Brush in size 3, leaving a natural movement in her hair.
- Next, to create waves, I alternated between the ghd Unplugged Styler to create S waves and ghd Curve Soft CuIl iron for loose waves. Using both the styler and iron to style the hair creates more volume and texture.
- Once her hair was all waved, I sprayed Wella Professionals EIMI Dry Me Dry Shampoo all over to break up waves and add a beautiful soft “lived in” texture.
- I then finished the look off with hairspray for added hold and shine.
Hair by: Kylee Heath
Products used: R+Co DALLAS Thickening Spray, ZIG ZAG Root Teasing + Texture Spray, VICIOUS Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray, R+Co BLEU Featherlight Hairspray
Inspiration: “Since Awkwafina was wearing a dress with a high neck, we wanted the look to be up, but not too sleek so that it had an effortless feel.”
Tips/Techniques from Heath:
- “I prepped Awkwafina’s damp hair with a styling mousse and then rough dried the hair until it was 50% dry using the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Hair Dryer.
- I then created a center part and used the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush in size 2’’ to set the part and smooth out the hair cuticle in the front pieces.
- Next, I went in with the 3’’ size of the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush to blow out the rest of the hair smooth.
- Once Awkwafina’s hair was dry, I sectioned away the front pieces and pulled the back into a ponytail securing it with an elastic. I like to use the jawline as a guide of where to place the ponytail.
- Next, I created some texture using the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion Flat Iron. Since we wanted the ponytail to feel messy and free falling, I then sprayed the roots with texture spray and teased pieces using the Olivia Garden CarboSilk Comb.
- I then pulled some more front pieces out around the face, so it was a little asymmetrical.
- To finish off the look, and make sure it would hold for the night, I spritzed a volumizing spray throughout.
Hair by: Kylee Heath
Inspiration: “We wanted the look to feel effortless and chic at the same time, nothing too polished.”
Tips/Techniques from Heath:
- I started out on Amy’s damp hair and spritzed R+Co BLEU Lifestyler Volume & Texture Spray throughout.
- I then created a super straight center part and used the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Hair Dryer to dry Amy’s hair. While drying, I also used the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush in size 2’’ to ensure I was getting rid of any knots, but also creating volume and softness.
- Once Amy’s hair was completely dry, I used the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion Flat Iron to create small waves all throughout her hair. I created the waves with the flat iron by wrapping the hair on both sides and pulling away from her face.
- Next, I teased the crown of her head with the Olivia Garden CarboSilk Comb just to add extra volume so that the look wasn’t too flat.
- I then sprayed a generous amount of R+Co BLEU Featherlight Hairspray throughout to ensure the waves would hold for the night.
Hair by: Randy Stodghill
Tips/Techniques from Stodghill:
- I started out by brushing through Angela’s hair using the Olivia Garden Ceramic+ Ion Turbo Vent Brush to detangle and define her natural curl.
- Next, I used the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Hair Dryer along with the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Snap-on Finger Diffuser to blow dry Angela’s hair while adding volume throughout.
- Next, I used the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion 1'' Curling Iron to gently straighten pieces around her hairline while leaving some of the natural wave. I continued to do this at the top half of Angela’s head and at the root to create a sleek look.
- I then slightly pulled both sides of the hair back and secured it at the back of her head.
- I then went back in with the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion 1'' Curling Iron and started to curl the ends of Angela’s hair.
- To ensure that the look would hold and stay in place, I used the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Snap-on Finger Diffuser again to lock and seal the look in the place for the night.”
Hair by: Bobby Eliot
Products used: Rene Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse and STYLE Shine Mist
Hair by: Ryan Richman
Products used: R+Co HIGH DIVE Moisture + Shine Crème, R+Co BLEU Optical Illusion Smoothing Oil, R+Co BLEU Featherlight Hairspray
Hair by: Brain Fisher
Tips/Techniques from Fisher:
- I started by layering in Oribe’s Maximista Thickening Spray at the roots and the Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray throughout her ends to smooth and protect.
- I blow dried her hair section by section by section with a 1 1/2” boar bristle brush adding volume at crown and flipping the ends out.
- As I completed each section, I set them with the Freestyler Working Hairspray and tamed flyaways with the same buildable, brushable product.
- I used a matching ribbon as a headband and tied it securely at the nape of her neck.
Hair by: Christine Symonds
Inspiration: “The dress was such a statement we wanted the hair look to be soft and easy. I think it was the perfect match.”
Tips/Techniques from Symonds:
- I prepped Kaley’s hair with Clairol’s Shimmer Lights Thermal Shine Spray and the Clairol Shimmer Lights Leave-In styling treatment.
- I then blow dried the hair and set with clips to create volume and movement.
- I then put in one row of Hidden Crown Seamless Hair Clip-in Light Ash Blonde and pulled the hair back into a ponytail.
- Then I pulled out a few pieces around the face to soften the look and frame her face with her fringe.
Nail artist: Jenna Hipp
Products used: OPI Nail Lacquer in “Midnight in Moscow”
Nail artist: Kim Truong
Products used: OPI Nail Lacquer in “I’m Really an Actress”
Hair by: Ashley Streicher
Tips/Techniques from Streicher:
- Mandy washed the day before with Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo. I prepped her clean dry hair with Garnier Fructis Style Mega Full Thickening Lotion, mostly at her roots. I blew around her hairline with the T3 Fit Dryer and small round brush to prep her hairline and make sure every hair is in line to go back into the ponytail.
- I ran the T3 AireBrush Duo Hot Air Styler through the rest of her hair, twisting it around the round brush attachment to give her some extra smoothness and texture.
- After her hair was prepped and heated, I went through all of her hair with Garnier Texture Tease Dry Touch Finishing Spray, concentrating at her root area.
- Next, I start to gather the back of her hair into a ponytail using a shaping brush and spraying with Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Control Hairspray to keep shape but still keep her hair brushable. I left a little section of her hair out around her face and placed the rest into a high (but not too high) ponytail that sat right at the round of her crown.
- Once the ponytail was fastened into place, I cleaned up any flyaways and stray hairs with Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Finishing Paste and Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Control Hairspray.
- Next, I add my special faux bang piece that I cut into the perfect sort of Audrey-inspired curtain bang. I made sure to have some of her natural hairline in there to keep them looking as real as possible.
- Once the bangs are in place, I perfected them with T3 Lucea flat iron, giving them the perfect bend and spraying into place with Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Control Hairspray, keeping them a little bit piecey.
- I sprayed the ponytail with some Garnier Texture Tease Dry Touch Finishing Spray and brushed it out a little bit giving the pony itself some volume and texture.
- Then I sprayed a bit of Garnier Fructis Style Flat Iron Perfector Straightening Mist into my hands and ran them through her ponytail giving her a bit of shine and protection and then wrapped a few long pony pieces around the barrel of the T3 SinglePass Curl iron, gave it a light backcomb and finished with Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Control Hairspray.
Hair by: Tym Wallace
Products used: Haus Laboratories Makeup by Lady Gaga eyeliner, Charlotte Tilbury, Essie nail polish
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.