Welcome to the age of the #hashtag.
#Hashtags can play an integral role for brands connecting with audiences. In the midst of the 2014 World Cup, marketers have even moved some traditional TV ad dollars to #hashtag campaigns. These simple, much less expensive campaigns are proving just as valuable as spending vast amounts of time and money on a 30-second spot. Because of the power of the hashtag!
But hold on, take one step back, it’s important to know and understand the correct use of a hashtag for your business, otherwise things can get #outofcontrol! Here are a few simple #hashtag faux pas to avoid.
1. #Runaway #hashtags: We all lose interest FAST. Stick to one to three #hashtags to ensure participation. Stay relevant to your topic and choose #hashtags that relate to major themes or purposes.
2. Broken #hashtags: #Hashtagging every other word confuses the reader – your tweet no longer runs smoothly. Place #hashtags strategically so that they don’t interrupt the flow of the post.
3. Speaking #hashtag lingo: As funny as they are…no one can be as cool as JT or Jimmy. Don’t speak in #hashtags. You’ll risk credibility with your clients.
4. Run-on #hashtags: Keep your #Hashtags short. They should not be more than three words; otherwise they will become messy and difficult to read.
5. Asking for it – #hashtag style: Quality is better than quantity.
Final Note: Annoyed by the constant #hashtagging of the word #hashtag? Exactly. That’s what it feels like to follow a brand that hasn’t used thoughtful strategy to engage with their followers. Know the do NOT’s of #hashtagging, so that you can focus on the do’s. Engage, connect, and link – before you become guilty of #hashtag #harassment.
Connect with Ideas That Evoke:
At Ideas That Evoke we develop digital, social and mobile strategies for salon professional, beauty, hospitality and entertainment brands. As branding and public relations veterans, yet early adopters of all things digital, we understand the importance of creating measurable, buzz-worthy campaigns that generate bottom-line results. #IdeasThatEvoke