The Fall 2014 Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship opened on Monday, August 4, with some new and interactive features for aspiring hairstylists and their fans. For the first time in its four years, both the “Basic” and “Advanced” scholarship competitions will allow the public to cast votes on applicants’ entries. Public votes will represent 25% of each applicant’s total score, with the remaining 75% of applicants’ scores determined by a judging panel comprised of esteemed professionals.
The Fall 2014 competition also celebrates a new partnership with Bloom.com, the world’s largest social beauty network. Bloom.com will host applicants’ entries; facilitating networking opportunities for beauty school students and helping licensed professionals promote their talent.
Finally, updates to the application process will now allow hopefuls to be even more creative with their entries. Basic applicants can submit either a video or inspiration board, while Advanced applicants are asked to submit a photo montage of a look they created, supported by a 300-word explanation of their inspiration for the look. Both levels will create their entries based off questions that reflect a passion for the industry and the inspiration that drives their career. Details for entering the competition are at www.beautychangeslives.com/scholarships.
As in previous competitions, the 2014 Beauty Changes Lives Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship Program will award 10 “Basic” scholarships and 10 “Advanced” scholarships. Basic scholarships fund 50 percent of tuition (up to $10,000) at qualified cosmetology schools. Advanced scholarships cover a five-day course at a Sassoon Academy in North America, including assistance for travel, lodging and course fees (up to $5,000). The competition is administered by the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation and generously funded by Wella’s Hairdressers at Heart.
“As we launch the fourth round of Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarships, we are excited to add interactive elements that reflect how hairdressers interact with each other and those they serve,” said Lynelle Lynch, Board President of the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation. Wella North America CEO, Sal Mauceri said the public voting element provides an opportunity for entrants’ friends and clients to support them on their career journey. “The competition provides an incentive for hairstylists to share their passion while building visibility for their talents,” said Mauceri. He noted that Advanced applicants may also choose to have their entry considered for inclusion in the first annual 2015 Wella Lookbook.
Launched in 2013, the Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship has awarded 60 scholarships totaling $450,000 and has pledged a total of $1.5M in cosmetology scholarships through 2017.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.