Are there ageless updos, styles that work for just about any client, of any age? Many silhouettes can be tweaked to be either more modern and sophisticated or younger and less structured. MODERN reached out to the King of Updos, Martin Parsons, and asked him to share “ageless” upstyles that can work as is, or be adjusted for the appropriate setting or client.
UPDO TIPS FROM THE KING
- Always watch around the ears, pull the hair down. Filling in that space makes the neckline softer. It also makes the neck look thinner and longer.
- Move your body when styling.
- Don’t worry about bobby pins showing while you are creating a style. They can always be covered at the end.
- Horizontal sides create a more sophisticated finish.
- What makes it modern is not the texture, but the silhouette.
- To smooth the sides of an updo use the back of the comb, not the teeth.
Hair: Martin Parsons, assisted by Michelle Pleasant
Photography: Roberto Ligresti
Makeup: David Maderich
Fashion styling: Alejandro
Nails: Reiko Omae
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.