First-time Academy Award nominee Lady Gaga wore quintessential pin curls on the Oscar red carpet last night, emanating an old Hollywood style reminiscent of Grace Kelly. Her voluminous waved look was styled by Frederic Aspiras for Pai-Shau.
“Since this is her first nomination for an Oscar, we wanted to create a hair look that was both timeless and glamorous,” explained Aspiras. “I created a sculptured but voluminous look that contoured her face and flattered her dress. I wanted a lot of shine and bounce.”
The products Aspiras used were essential to creating the style, which required volume and hold, but still needed to look natural and not weighed down by product. The hair's high shine and soft, touchable look were key to making Gaga's style effortlessly graceful.
GET THE LOOK:
Prepping the hair:
1. Wash hair with Pai-Shau Replenishing Hair Cleanser and rinse thoroughly.
2. Apply Pai-Shau Replenishing Cream Conditioner on the mid shaft to the ends. For medium to coarse hair types, Aspiras suggests using Pai-Shau Hydrating Ritual Supreme Revitalizing Mask.
3. Apply Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to towel-blotted hair. Make sure to first shake the bottle to activate the product.
4. Apply mousse from the roots to the ends.
5. Blow dry the hair with a boar bristle round brush making sure that the hair is voluminous and smooth.
6. Beginning at the front of the hairline, apply mousse to the first section of hair and curl with a curling iron (1" iron for the front hairline section; 1 1/4" iron for the crown down to the nape). Hold the curled piece of hair in your hand and apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to it, then pin the curl in place.
7. Once all of the hair is pin curled, put under a dryer hood for 15 minutes. Then let the hair cool for 5 minutes.
8. Remove the pins from the hair and brush out the hair.
9. Begin sculpting the hair with Pai-Shau Style Soufflé and a wide tooth comb.
10. Once you have achieved your desired look, apply a small amount of Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to the ends for added smoothness.
11. Finish with a firm hold hairspray.
For more information, visit pai-shau.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.