That’s how many hours of video Facebook users watch every day! Video is huge for the social media giant, and one of the platform’s most recent updates only confirms that fact. (Side note: if you’re not already embracing the power of video on your channels, get. on. that.)
Last month, Facebook announced the launch of Facebook Live, its answer to the explosive popularity of competitor apps like Periscope and Snapchat. According to Mark Zuckerberg, “Live is like having a TV camera in your pocket.” Users are able to live stream what they want, when they want, from anywhere in the world.
I know, I know. Just when you’ve mastered the art of Periscope, engaged with your followers by showing techniques and explaining the newest trends in the industry, surprise! A new platform to learn. (The Facebook takeover continues.) But don’t be discouraged! That’s why I’m here. Keep reading to learn strategies for making YOUR live content seen and heard above the rest:
· Announce your stream! To build anticipation, let people know when you’re going to begin live streaming ahead of time.
· WiFi or Bust. Before going live, make sure you have a strong connection to avoid hiccups during your stream. Facebook recommends WiFi or 4G!
Or else this could happen. #Cringe
· Be descriptive. Capture your audience’s attention and let people know what your stream is about, before you go live.
· Self-promote. (Really. I’m giving you permission. Don’t be shy.) Encourage viewers to hit the Follow button on your videos so they never miss a stream!
· Give a shout-out. The best part about social media is the social part. Be conversational. If you call out your followers and answer their questions, they’re more likely to watch the next time you go live.
· Take your time. (Again, I’m giving you permission!) When you broadcast for longer periods of time, people are more likely to to discover your video and invite their friends. Facebook recommends 10 minutes, but videos can be up to 90.
· Use your creativity. Be different! Trying new things will keep your audience engaged and coming back for more.
Above all else, have fun with it! Think of Facebook Live as another great opportunity for you, your company, and your salon to better engage with your followers and start conversations.
At Ideas That Evoke™, we create, narrate and manage brand experiences in the social space. We develop content that connects people to brands and evokes an emotional response in an organic way…but to us, that’s just the beginning. Our agile, highly-response team works as an extension of your brand, engaging with and managing your social communities in a real-time way. We believe social media is a science, one that deserves a high attention to detail and constant, consistent nurturing. It can be fun, interactive and downright silly, but at the end of the day, we know social moves the needle.
Connect with Ideas That Evoke