Ian Michael Black, Aveda global artistic director for hair color, implements the "eclipting" technique, focusing color at the front hairline to flatter the face shape and complement the cut.
FORMULA & APPLICATION
Natural level 5
Formula 1: Aveda Full Spectrum Permanent 40 g 6Natural Dark Blonde + 2g Pure Yellow + 2 g Pure Orange + 1 g Dark Yellow/Orange with 40 ml 10-volume Aveda Color Catalyst
Formula 2: Aveda Full Spectrum Permanent 20 g 5Natural Lightest Brown with 20 ml 5-volume Aveda Color Catalyst
Formula 3: 1 scoop Aveda Enlightener Powder Lightener with 60 ml 5-volume Aveda Color Catalyst
Formula 4: Aveda Full Spectrum Deposit-Only Color Treatment 40 g Universal ON + 8 g Light Yellow/Orange + 8 g Light Orange/Red + 4 g Dark Red/Orange + 2 g Dark Yellow/Orange with Color Treatment Activator Creme
1. Section out the fringe and take a circular section behind it that includes the point of distribution and sits just above the parietal ridge. Then apply Formula 1 to the bottom section, from scalp to ends.
2. Subdivide the fringe into three horizontal sub-sections. In the first sub-section, apply Formula 2 from base to ends and isolate with foil.
3. Through the middle sub-section, take V-shaped partings, backcomb at the root area and apply Formula 1 over the backcombing. Then blend it into Formula 3 through the mid lengths and ends. To do this, twist the section, apply Formula 3 over the mid-lengths and ends to ensure saturation, then blend over Formula 2.
4. Through the top fringe sub-section, weave a highlight and apply Formula 2 at the base. Then blend into Formula 3 through the midlengths and ends. Fold into foil.
5. Apply Formula 1 to the remaining hair in the fringe section.
6. Sub-divide the top circular section into quadrants.
7. In each quadrant, backcomb hair at the base, then apply Formula 1 over the backcombing and blend into Formula 3 through the midlengths and ends. Twist the section and re-apply Formula 3 through the mid-lengths and ends, then blend into Formula 1.
8. Process 10-20 minutes based on desired results. Shampoo and condition, then tone if desired.