The road to becoming a better hairdresser is paved with EDUCATION! Sam Villa, co-founder of Sam Villa and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, believes both live and digital education have extreme value, especially when it’s FREE education online or on YouTube! Here’s a tutorial on how to twist knots to make an updo that’s edgy, yet easy to do.
- Pre texturize hair with the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron to create more volume for a solid foundation.
- Secure all hair into a high ponytail.
- Divide ponytail into 4 sections (or more/less depending on hair density).
- Take one section and create a knot by holding the hand behind the section with the thumb on top and twist one full rotation – repeat down the section. The more condensed the knot, the smaller it will be.
- Secure ends with an elastic, leaving 1-2 inches out at the ends.
- Place the knot on the head and secure by threading a pin through the elastic on the end and into the elastic holding the ponytail in place.
- Twist and arrange the knot into desired shape and secure with a pin.
- Repeat with each section.
- Before doing the last section, wrap all the ends underneath the knots and secure. Finesse the shape, then twist the last section.
- Finish with Redken quick tease 15 to hold and control flyaways. TIP: Always smooth hair and spray in the direction the hair is styled – if hair is up, smooth upwards.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.