Get this "Salty Blonde" look by Jessica Todd @freshicatodd. This balayage technique is best for medium to longer hair and longer layers.
Formula 1: Blond Studio Multi-Techniques Powder + 40-vol. Majicrème Developer + Smartbond Step 1
Formula 2: Blond Studio Multi-Techniques Powder + 30-vol. Majicrème Developer + Smartbond Step 1
Formula 3: ½ DIA Light Clear + ½ DIA Light 10.13 + 6-vol. DIActivateur Developer + Smartbond Step 1
“The most important thing with sectioning and Balayage is painting and sectioning the hair where it lives.”
- Create the profile parting. Let the part fall naturally.
- Create a radial parting to separate the front from the back.
“Paint depending on the density of the hair – you may want to do two double points instead!”
- Start in the front of the head on the shallow side of the part.
- Working in diagonal back sections 1-inch deep.
- Paint with Formula 1, working from the hairline to the radial parting, alternate triple and double point Balayage pieces.
PRO TIP: Remember blonde next to blonde next to blonde only looks so blonde. Negative space, or depth, creates the pop and contrast to make your pieces look bright!
- Repeat paint pattern up to the part. Leave the last section out.
- Replicate the same application on the opposite side of the parting.
- Alternate double and single point Balayage pieces along the parting.
- Repeat technique on the opposite side. Offset the paint pieces.
PRO TIP: Use perforated plastic over each completed subsection and 100% cotton underneath each Balayage piece.
- In the back of the head, create a "V" shaped section at the nape of the neck.
- Hold a quarter inch sub-section at 45 degrees out from the head and paint a triple point piece with Formula 2.
- Repeat technique up the head, following the same application gesture and sectioning pattern.
- Paint double point Balayage pieces to the crown and single points to the radial.
- Feather up the new growth for a lived-in result.
- Process for 30 minutes or until desired level of lightness.
- Gloss with Formula 3.
- Start in the back and work to the front.
- Process 2-20 minutes, to desired level of tone. Rinse.
- Apply Smartbond Step 2 for 10 minutes. Rinse.
- Shampoo with LUO Post-Color Shampoo. Rinse.
- Treat with Serie Expert Powermix Color. Process for 10 minutes. Rinse.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.