Often a client’s color isn’t SO bad, but it’s not great. Culprits could be streaky or chunky highlights, dull or too-dark lowlights or an overall flat tone. In this case, it was all of the above. The client’s highlights were stripe-y, with some bleed marks and overall ashiness. So Clairol Celebrity Color Artist Jennifer J (clients include January Jones, Julia Roberts and Cate Blanchett), reached for her secret weapon—Clairol Liquicolor Permanente. “Liquid color is my formula of choice,” she explains. “It goes on fluidly and evenly and speeds up the application like crazy! I can do a full retouch in five minutes!”
See how Jennifer J uses her secret weapon to transform streaky highlights into a beautiful, blended “bronde” with a golden caramel glow!
Base: Clairol Liquicolor Permanente 1 ½ oz. 57D (3AA) + ½ oz. 47R (4RN) + 6-volume developer + Clairol Color Serum
Color wash to lift lowlights: Clairol BW2 + water
Gloss: Clairol Liquicolor Permanente 27G (8GN) + 6-volume developer + Clairol Color Serum
Jennifer’s Color Correction Tips:
- Apply base color from the scalp and gently feather the color downward to create a natural, fluid-looking root.
- Liquid color is translucent so it’s the perfect choice for “toning down” too-loud highlights, but don’t worry—there will be no line of demarcation.
- Working with larger sections is ok if you’re toning and not covering grey, which speeds up the application even more.
- To keep the hairline looking more natural, wait and apply color to this area at the end—in the chair or at the bowl—and use a smaller brush so you can do more detailed work without overcoloring.
- In the back, extend the base color a little lower than the sides, because natural haircolor is darker in the back. Feather the color in with a light stroke.
- Clairol Liquicolor will appear quite black as it begins to oxidize so don’t panic! If you’ve used the correct formulas, it will develop as planned.
See more Color Correction How-Tos by Jennifer J!
How to Correct a Grown-Out Bleach and Tone
How to Fix Over-Highlighted Hair with Grey Coverage
Win a Clairol Secret Formula Kit!
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.