Platinum hair color is stunning at first, but the grow-out can be painful. Glaring contrast between black and white, unflattering and off-tone fade out—it isn’t for the faint of heart! Enter Clairol Celebrity Color Artist Jennifer J (clients include January Jones, Julia Roberts and Cate Blanchett), and her secret weapon—Clairol Liquicolor Permanente. “Liquid color is so fast,” Jennifer J says. “It goes on quickly and easily, so time spent on correction services is significantly reduced.”
See how Jennifer J uses her secret weapon to extend and blend the root line of this bleach and tone grow-out and then pull it all together with a rosé wash that flatters the client’s skin tone and produces a hip, polished result.
Regrowth: Clairol Liquicolor Permanente 2oz. 57D (3AA) + 10-volume developer
Tone: FLARE Me Make ‘Em Blush Pink diluted with Clearly You Pastel Mix-In + Clairol Color Serum
Jennifer J’s Color Correction Tips
- After each stroke applying the regrowth color, use the edge of the brush to blur the lines of demarcation.
- Liquid color saves time—you can do a full retouch in as little as 5 minutes! Plus it’s seamless and forgiving.
- If necessary, as you work down the head with the retouch, switch to a smaller brush to avoid overlap.
- Omit the hairline until the end of the retouch to avoid over-depositing and a too-dark result. Use just the tip of the brush on this area to ensure you’re only coloring the root. Feather the color in with a light stroke and be careful not to overload the brush with product.
- In the back, extend the base color a little lower than the sides, because natural haircolor is darker in the back.
- Clairol Liquicolor will appear quite black as it begins to oxidize so don’t panic! If you’ve used the correct formulas, it will develop as planned.
See more Color Correction How-Tos by Jennifer J!
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.