As the platinum trend continues to remain popular, some clients are starting to realize the high level of maintenance that the bright color requires. For clients with naturally dark hair, this can quickly lead to a shadow root going from trendy to not-so-cute. Chicago-based blonde guru—and MODERN Gamechanger from 2017—Jordan Heidenwith @jordanheidenwith_hair recently took a client from a grown-out platinum to a more natural and manageable blonde.
- Start in the back with multiblonde powder and 10 vol. Very heavy highlight with fine sections.
- After the back section is finished, foil in 7/0 7/3 with Wella Color Touch with the hair left out of the foils (every 3 foils).
- Then start with the sides and top with multiblonde powder and 15 vol. Foil same lowlights In between every fifth foil or so.
- Process until the highlights look like the inside of a banana. Not too yellow and not yet white. Rinse and shampoo with Shu Uemura Moisture shampoo.
- Tone the roots starting in back with 8/0 8/71 8/3 with Wella Color Touch and 6 vol. Combed through the root to blend, leaving out the hair line. Then tone the ends with 10/81 and 9/73 for a total of 15 minutes or so.
- Finish with an Olaplex treatment followed by a Fanola no yellow shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.