The presentation was inspired by author and environmentalist Jonathan Safran Foer’s upcoming novel “We Are the Weather,” which discusses the small sacrifices that can have a significant impact on our environment, which closely aligns with the environmental missions of both Aveda and Stella McCartney.
The presentation sent a “defiant message of activism” encouraging guests to take a stand to make a change to protect the future of our planet. The collection included phrases from Jonathan’s book, incorporating messages of love and sustainability which were embroidered into the clothing, worn as tattoos on the models and even painted on the faces of some of the models for the presentation.
Aveda’s SVP Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders led a team of Global Aveda Artists to create the hair look for the presentation using cruelty-free, vegan products that were manufactured using 100% wind power.
“We really wanted each model’s natural, individual beauty to come through, so each look for tonight’s show was different,” Beenders says. “I’m really proud of the fact that we created these beautiful looks with naturally-derived, vegan products. It’s a reflection of our mission to care for the world we live in, without sacrificing the performance of the products that we use.”
The hair look for this presentation was natural, soft and beautiful, individualized for each model based on their natural hair texture. The female models donned a sleek center part, with natural, undone texture flowing through the ends of their hair.
To create the look:
- Beenders first prepped the models’ hair with Speed of Light and gave them a quick blowout to add slight volume.
- She then curled the ends of the hair with a curling iron, moving it lightly up and down to warm the hair and leave a soft undone curl at the bottom.
- She next added a “twist-gloss” finish to the ends by twisting the models’ hair all together, spraying Texture Tonic onto Aveda’s Uruku brush, and brushing it along the twist to give it a final bit of texture, polish and hold; and smoothed down the center part by spraying Air Control onto the same brush and smoothing down any flyaways.
- For models with more hair texture, Antoinette used Aveda’s Rinseless Micellar Hair & Scalp Refresher and Dry Remedy Oil to reshape curls and add a boost of moisture to their natural texture.
The male models also featured a loosely tousled and natural hair look, which was created using Aveda’s Rinseless Refresh Micellar Hair & Scalp Refresher to help reshape the natural texture and then adding a bit more with Texture Tonic. If they needed an extra lift at the root, Beender added a bit of Shampure Dry Shampoo and then spritzed Air Control Light Hold Hairspray for a soft hold finish.
Each product used at the presentation was not only cruelty-free and vegan, but reinforces Aveda’s environmental mission via the use of sustainable ingredients and packaging:
- Speed of Light: 90% naturally derived formula is packaged in a bottle made from 100% post consumer recycled materials.
- Texture Tonic: 94% naturally derived formula is made with sustainably sourced babassu from Brazil.
- Air Control: Light hold hair spray offers flexible, lasting hold and has a net-zero impact on the Earth's climate thanks to offsets from renewable energy credits.
- Rinseless Refresh Micellar Hair & Scalp Refresher: This formula is packaged in a bottle made from 100% recycled materials, like milk jugs and soda bottles.
- Shampure Dry Shampoo: 99.8% naturally derived formula is packaged in a bottle made from recycled materials and bioplastic.