What can salon professionals who join the fastest growing salon group and the largest beauty company in the country expect from day one? The Salon at Ulta Beauty offers:
1. Regular, ongoing education in their local area, tailored to their particular skill sets, to help them grow in every service and category
2. The power to immediately make more money—up to an industry-leading 70 percent commission—based on weekly sales criteria, no matter what title or skill level
3. Access to incredible benefits including health insurance, 401k savings, paid time off and more
4. Flexible scheduling and more control—the “perks” of rental without the hassles of ownership or downside of going it alone
5. To be paid for education
6. Regular in-salon support from their salon’s dedicated, full-time Salon District Educator
7. To grow, to learn, and to improve always
So Much Support
These are just a few topline benefits a stylist, skin therapist, brow expert or makeup artist will experience when they become part of the Salon at Ulta Beauty community. But the biggest attraction, according to pros who have recently made a move or have been with Ulta Beauty a while, is the education.
According to Ulta Beauty Director of Artistic Development and Training Jen McGann, the entire curriculum for both stylists and skin therapists is built to meet and exceed expectations.
“Ulta has invested in an amazing program and system based on feedback,” she explains. “It’s about delivering the best experience for the guest, but it’s created by stylists for stylists, by skin therapists for skin therapists.”
All members of the Ulta Beauty educator team—whether in the field, writing the classes or part of leadership—are licensed professionals themselves.
“Ulta education is about real-life, behind-the-chair work,” McGann adds. “Each class is carefully crafted around techniques and to drive the professional’s own business. Salon professionals learn by doing, so while theory and product knowledge are important, we put the emphasis on being hands-on, creative and inclusive, with 90 percent of each class dedicated to active learning—demo, workshop and activities.”
With guidance from Chief Artistic Director Ammon Carver, McGann collaborates with Manager of Skin Care Education Gabriella Santana, Senior Manager of Services Field Education Sarah Dahl, a development team of Samantha Manuzak and Jenisa Pletka, the Pro Team and Design Team, and a whole fleet of hundreds of district and regional educators to support Ulta associates and keep the education running smoothly.
“From the field team to the home team, we make sure everyone is on the same page, learning together,” she says.
Essential, Master or Elite: What to Expect from the Salon at Ulta Beauty Education
While all education at the Ulta Academy is advanced, it is also foundational, tailored to build according to skillset and title.
• Everyone takes the (paid) education customized for their level—Essential, Master or Elite.
• Weekly classes covering cutting, color, extensions, styling, balayage, skin services and more are held in each of Ulta’s 109 districts. Open classes based on the salons in that district’s needs or interests in areas like clipper cutting, treatments, updos, etc., happen on a monthly basis. There are mini classes inside each store, too, for up to the moment support.
• At their own pace, associates complete additional courses at the next Master or Elite level before being promoted to the new title and higher services prices. (Remember, Ulta associates are eligible to earn up to 70 percent commission, regardless of title, based on sales volume.)
• Each class will include workshops on at least two time saving techniques and walk through how to make each look Fun (bold), Fresh (on trend) and Real (wearable, consumer friendly).
• Each technical class is grounded in the foundational business principles that help the stylist use their Ulta Beauty platform and grow their business.
Check out the Salon at Ulta Beauty near you. Ask the salon manager for more info on local—and free!—Ulta Academy education and events. Apply at careers.ulta.com
- Artist to Artist Education Drives Salon Careers at Ulta Beauty
- 11 Beauty Career Paths to Explore Today
- Salon Career Path: All Things Beauty
- Salon Career Path: Best Face Forward
- Salon Career Path: Family Values
- Salon Career Path: Personal Growth
- Salon Career Path: Balance and Structure
- Salon Career Path: One Team, One Dream
- Salon Career Path: Opening New Doors
- Brand Insights: Industry Leaders Share Perspectives on Salon Education, Unity