Hair color expert Cassondra Kaeding, (@ckaedingcolor) has a special love for all color, but has a special expertise in red shades. The Redken Brand Ambassador, based in West Hollywood, California, has an impressive celebrity roster and her success is the result of perfect formulation and application.
MODERN checked in with Kaeding to get her top five tips on creating and maintaining the perfect red:
1. CONSULTATION: First make sure that both you and your client are on the same page about the level, tone, and brightness of the red they desire. “There are so many different levels and shades of red, you want to make sure that you have clear communication with your clients when choosing a color.” Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. Advise your client to bring is as many as possible or to pull up photos from Instagram or Pinterest.
2. MAINTENANCE: It’s important to speak to your client about how frequently she will need to come in for a color service. “I usually tell my redhead clients to come back to the salon between 4-6 weeks to help maintain the vibrancy of their color.”
3. PRODUCTS: Let your client know that being a redhead is an investment. “To protect that investment let your client know that the products she uses on her hair are a key part in keeping their hair color looking fresh. I always tell my clients that they must use a color safe shampoo and conditioner.” Kaeding recommends sulfate-free products that contain amino-ions to help seal in the color (she uses Redken Color Extend Magnetics shampoo and conditioner.)
4. COLOR PRESERVATION: “Red is a beautiful, powerful color so make sure you let your clients know that over-shampooing will cause the color to fade a lot faster.” Remind your red clients that the more frequently they shampoo, the quicker the color will fade. Water temperature is also very important. Let your clients know that using hot water causes the cuticle to open up and will release hair color, so using lukewarm water is best.
5. GLOSSING: Offer your clients the option to comeback in 2-3 weeks for a quick gloss refresh. “Reds are the hardest colors to keep, so educate your clients and let them know they have options for a quick, painless touch up that will bring back the tone and vibrancy to their color.” Kaeding uses Redken Shades EQ to color the color. “It is my go-to gloss and is great for refreshing color and giving it great shine.”