There was a lot of gel in the air – and in the hair – at Proenza Schouler’s FW20 NYFW Show. Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau went all “90’s”, applying Redken Hardwear Gel 16 from roots to ends, with an additional layer of Redken Guts 10 for the wet look. “We were inspired by strong, sexy, tough women in the 90s,” Palau says. “I wanted it to look like the models had just gotten out of the shower and combed their hair back almost effortlessly, but of course at a show, we can’t have the models walking around with wet hair on the clothes… so this recreates that feeling.” For an intentional and interesting PRO touch, Palau intentionally leaves the marks and squares off the shape for a masculine effect (see step 2).
Here Palau shares all the steps:
1. Prep freshly shampooed hair by working a palm-sized amount of Redken Guts 10 throughout the crown of the head. Blow dry hair using a round brush for added volume.
2. Once hair is fully dry, take a heavy amount of Redken Hardwear Gel 16 and start working it in sections of the hair at the crown using a wide-toothed comb, intentionally leaving the marks and squaring off the shape for a masculine effect. Continue working the gel down the lengths and ends.
3. Once the first layer is done, add a layer of Redken Guts 10 throughout the lengths and ends. Continue layering the two products until reaching the desired effect.
4. Clip hair close to the head shape on each side above your ear and allow it to set. Once hair has fully set, remove the clips.
5. Spritz of Redken Shine Flash 02 throughout the whole look for a glossy effect. Finish with Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray for added hold.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.